Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 04-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #21
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I think the value also depends on the grade and gauge of the gun. Small bores always bring more. Several years ago I bought a GH 20 with 30 inch Damascus barrels that had been completely restored by Doug Turnbull. The gun came from a member here and he based the asking price on condition (after restoration it was as new) and rarity. We came to terms and I've enjoyed it for quite a while.

IMHO the breakdown is 90%+ original condition bring the highest price, professionally and correctly restored is 70-75% of that and the gun with honest wear but serviceable will bring the fair market value of that particular grade and gauge.

The above mentioned GH is the only fully restored gun I own or have ever owned. I've replaced pads and restocked a couple that were so horrid I couldn't shoot the gun and have had a couple of Damascus barrels refinished. Wrong? Perhaps but there guns I use regularly and it will be the next guys issues not mine.
Unread 04-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #22
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Gents, i hope and pray that if and when your girl friend or wife tells you that she plans to have some cosmetic surgery to improve her looks that you wont tell her she's devaluing herself. Lol
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #23
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Allen
Great analogy. Some of us like all natural, wrinkles, sags and all, while others like their woman to be forever young. I think aging gracefully works with Parkers as well as people.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to David Dwyer For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Very well said David.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,195 Times in 891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen newell View Post
Gents, i hope and pray that if and when your girl friend or wife tells you that she plans to have some cosmetic surgery to improve her looks that you wont tell her she's devaluing herself. Lol
No, but you better check to make sure she is not having an affair
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

Most "improvements" to a woman turn out bad.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm not sure about that Bill. Some, perhaps many Parkers age gracefully if and when taken good care of. And there is certainly beauty and value in an 'aged' Parker that still retains it's proper conformation (to use a dog breeder's term). A Parker that has not aged well, been abused, rode hard and put away wet may be a candidate for cosmetic or more comprehensive surgery. At the end f the day though, isn't beauty and value in the eyes of the beholder. (I'm using the tem value in the broadest sense).

One of the Parkers that I have inherited is a 16 ga VH purchased by my grandfather in Boston sometime during the 1920's. Granddad hunted this 16 ga heavily in the coverts around Hooksett and Bow NH with his 4 sons, all of who carried Parkers. When he passed away, my dad inherited this little 16 and as it was his gun of choice he hunted it pretty hard. By the time I inherited it, the head of the stock was so oil soaked it felt like mush, The head had been pinned previously and there was way too much drop to the stock. Granddad had ordered it to his specs. Realizing that this 16 was not/had not aged gracefully I decided more for posterity and wanting one of my grandsons to inherit it, I had DelGrego re-stock it to modern dimensions and re-case color the frame and forend latch metal. As a family heirloom, value to me....Priceless.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #28
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The money used for lift and separate, nip and tuck would be better spent on a nice small bore

To restore an original (not abused) gun is wrong and a 60+ year old woman with 25 year old boobs is just as wrong
Unread 04-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #29
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

If a 60 yr old woman wants a nip and tuck and desires to feel better about herself and the way she presents herself to the world and in consult with her physician, that's her decision and who are we to judge..

To restore a gun that has not been abused is in my opinion neither right nor wrong depending on the circumstances and reasoning for the restoration. And whether it increases the value of the gun or not is a consequence the owner bears responsibility for. I would hope that after we are long gone that shooting sports in this country (and elsewhere) continue to thrive and that Parker double guns remain in the hands of future generations whether restored or not, and valued as one of America's classic shotguns.
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #30
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

I try to avoid the pull of project guns but I have fallen in love with a few that where spot on my collecting interest. I felt an obligation to rescue a few even tho I much prefer original condition. I realize that they will never be equal in value to original but try to do the minimal amount of restoration to maintain the character without completely wiping away it's history. Thankfully we have craftsman that also understand our desire to keep then as original as possible and put them into a shootable condition. However the more restoration the more the value is depreciated. I cringe when good shootable guns are fully restored and I believe the market agrees. If in the future the cost of original guns becomes unapproachable for all but a few then restored guns will become more sought after but we still live in a time when original condition guns are still affordable.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post: