Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Scott,

Love reading about your trip. What an incredible sounding place. Reminded me too much of my great times in Mexico. Maybe some places the hunting is still pretty good and still safe to travel down there after all. Glad you felt safe and welcomed on your trip. Btw I have had just about every waterfowl as tablefare. Even ate a coot on a dare, but being on East coast have never eaten a Brant. So what similar duck do you think compares to a Brant. It sounds like it could be close to a Gadwall by what you described it consuming sea grass.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
mex doves
Unread 02-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #12
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default mex doves

Many years ago like 25 or more 4 of us booked with a solo guy in Laredo that picked us up at the border in his Sububan drove us to Victoria Mex put us in a half decent hotel took us out to a pre spotted field and we started to shoot all the doves we wanted mostly white wings, I shot a 20 VHE Parker about 1904 and others shot their Rem 1100 which jammed constantly with Mex shells. if I shot 10 doves I think I lost count at 500 total. Parker never missed a beat. next thing we know bird boys gathered mesquite built a fire and proceeded to cook doves along with guacamole and beans plus cold beer. they hooked hammocks in the trees and we took siesta til afternoon hunt. Whole trip with shells and all including hotel cost me for 3 days about $500 bucks. Will never see that again!! Wish I still had the VHE 20. Bought a 20 and a 28 from a lady in Houston for $3000, The 28 was stolen in San Antonio in a late nite motel break in never found but insurance money helped buy my first flats Tx scooter boat which I caught a ton of redfish out of! Now that's a story.
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

David that is some shooting. That is one of many reasons I chose the pump. That was same time frame we went. Most people that I interacted with were fair, honest,hard working and genuinely appreciative. Being a guide there was highly respected and they all desperately wanted to learn English and speak it. A lot of the guides sons were the bird boys that worked at the lodge and I got to talk to them a good bit and you could tell they loved and cared about their country and its prosperity. Corruption though was just rampant though and it started with the drug cartels about then best I can tell.

Thing is I bet the game is still there but you don't hear to much about tour operations like you used to and that all seemingly stopped in the 90's. Will put it this way, I have only had a pistol waved in my face one time in my life and I never thought it would have been while in a boat fishing, holding out my license, getting gear confiscated and being threatened with jail all because the Federali wanted was lunch at the lodge we were staying.

I really hope that is changing down there and my one bad experience is not the norm, but I keep hearing that its gotten even worse in some parts. Unfortunately real victims are the hard working people in the country that are proud of their country but get overshadowed. Glad Scott's trip was a great adventure and safe. Even when we went we could have taken our guns but we were told not to since it was expensive and if the Federalis really liked your gun then there is a chance it could be confiscated and would basically have to buy it back. Maybe that is changed as well.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 02-08-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Unread 02-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Sounds like a fine trip. I'm off in September to hunt them on Cold Bay in Alaska.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

Please do not take this wrong, but as a former long time Sheriff and at one time friends with the Sheriff of San Diego, i would never travel to Mexico, especially with firearms. Just not safe. Most Law Enforcement officials there are on the take and very sketchy. Sorry for my negative post.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #16
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Opinions do vary according to experience and info from trusted sources. Mexico is extremely complex and for most part can be a great experience for sportsmen but if something does happen the only law there is might is right and not a good place to be whether you break the laws or not, and sometimes laws get made up as needed down there. As for due process, lets just say you have better odds of winning on a roulet table in Vegas. I would like to think US is different but we have our bad apples as well, but hopefully our system is not absolutely and completely corrupt, and FBI is even taking it the chin right now. Will stop there with respect out of decorum of site policy since this is not a forum for political discourse and dialogue other than passing comments.

Scott graciously shared a wonderful trip description and I am glad he had a safe and wonderful trip experience. Its a risk/reward gamble though for sure down there, always has and will probably be that way for another 100 years. There are some wonderful people down there that are victims of circumstance and I don't blame the some of the honest hard working people that I have met for wanting something better. Scary part there now is that if someone steps up to say enough is enough they just get executed or disappear.
Unread 02-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

I've only been to Mexico with a gun one time, for a pigeon shoot. A letter from a general will get you in and out, without much problemos. Best advice is don't break any laws while down there.
I know a guy who fractured a minor rule, while on a dove hunt. Something like removing the wrong wing, for proof, or some such. The matter was settled in the field with the forfeiture of one Rolex wrist watch.
If you're going to Mexico, leave the Rolex at home, and don't break any laws.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
I've only been to Mexico with a gun one time, for a pigeon shoot. A letter from a general will get you in and out, without much problemos. Best advice is don't break any laws while down there.
I know a guy who fractured a minor rule, while on a dove hunt. Something like removing the wrong wing, for proof, or some such. The matter was settled in the field with the forfeiture of one Rolex wrist watch.
If you're going to Mexico, leave the Rolex at home, and don't break any laws.
Ha, I remember a line from one of my favorite comedians that got pulled over in one of the Dakotas. Seems you could pay the fine for speeding right there on the spot and fine was $20. He tells the cop here is a $50 call ahead and tell them I have already paid up and let me cruise on by. You do that down there and its like 100% chance of the sun rising that Rolex was just the beginning. If they see Gringos that is just a Federalis pay day. I think the word I learned there was tribute. They get pissed if you call it what it actually is.
Unread 02-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #19
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

My Dad spoke fluent Spanish, was married to a Mexican woman, owned land in Mexico, etc.
He referred to the crooked cops in Mexico as "La Mordidita", or translated, "The Bite".
He explained that many of the cops in Mexico, at least back then, were not paid by the government, and lived off of the "fines" they could assess off of mostly tourists.
I've spent a lot of time in Mexico, and never had any problems, because we never broke the rules, always showed respect, and didn't go places we didn't belong.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #20
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Down Yonder Way you write like "a Fox" we once had on here. Know him?
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote