Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 01-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,063 Posts

Sure is a pretty gun; hope you get the details worked out to your liking!
Unread 01-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #12
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 2,013 Posts

Very nice. yeah i would fix the trigger guard, wonder why in the heck they did that. I have a 20ou with a bent top lever worse than that, but still functional, cant imagine how much force it would take to do that. How much does it weigh? Like Researcher, I have a 4E 16 that is a bit on the heavy side for a 16.
Kind of kept my eye out for a Grade 2 20, for some reason I was talked out of my Grade 3 Crass 12 damascus
Unread 01-09-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Had the exact gun for the most part about 10 years but with 28" barrels. For me for a Grouse gun I thought it was just too heavy for the gauge. Compared to the lightness of a Fox 16 gauge it just wasn't my cup of tea and I moved it on. It did however have nice engraving and very nice wood.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #14
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,073 Posts

That little bit of weight just might be the right thing to keep those 26" barrels moving. Nice gun. I hope you can correct the things that you note.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #15
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
Joe, the person who did that to your trigger guard HAS to be related to the moron who did the exact same thing to the guard on my 16 ga. 0 frame AH Damascus gun - there would be a perfect DNA sequence match between the two of them!
Did you fix it, or just consider it as part of the history of the gun, no matter how ugly that history may be.... The ONLY thing I can think of as to why, the guy had big fat hands. Doing this allowed for a bigger finger in the trigger guard, and a bigger hand between back of trigger guard, and bottome of grip..... Other than that, I cannot fathom why anyone would willingly take a drill to an Ithaga G2 trigger guard....
Unread 01-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #16
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
If that is a proper, period correct, recoil pad with the legend "PAT. APPL'D FOR" at the bottom of the logo on the face --

Attachment 91883

I'd do everything possible to save it. The repros are of the post war style with the word "PATENTED". From its introduction in 1932 through the end of NID production in 1948, the Ithaca "Bridge Trestle" Pad was only offered in the medium size. NID Magnum-10s, if found with an original recoil pad, usually have a seven-slot Jostam Anti-Flinch or a 15-heart Hawkins. By 1950, when they changed to the aluminum base of the pad it was offered in medium and large. The repros from Kings Ferry were offered in both sizes.

Have you had a chance to weigh your new toy? I have a similar 1941 vintage No. 4E, 16-gauge, 26-inch, ic & mod, that is quite the little chunk at 7 pounds 2.6 ounces.
Gun weighs in at 6lb 7.03 oz. About 7oz heavier than my Philly Fox 16ga.

And, yes it has the period correct Butt pad, and is in decent shape and will be saved. I just need to glue the top and bottom that has separated about 1" on each end. Other than that, it's in very good condition for a 1938 but pad. I store the gun horizontally, so it should remain in good condition while I own it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5682.jpg (77.2 KB, 1 views)
Unread 01-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #17
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

I talked to Eric at Helix gun smithing in Arnold MO, he seems to think he can tig weld the trigger guard, and get it back close to original condition.

As for the varnish that was applied... Suggestions for carefully removing that?

I've used citristrip before to remove old finish like that, and then I have some timberluxe I can use.....