Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-31-2020, 09:17 AM   #11
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

I'll get in a car and drive to shoot doves! Georgia sounds better than Upstate NY in January

: )
Unread 12-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #12
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
The first couple years we control hunted for this club those guys would put 50 people in the field snd they would ALL limit out that’s 750 birds to opening days in a row and god knows how many they fringed or dropped and couldn’t find . This year their success wasn’t nearly as good .
Serves them right. When you're greedy, and I mean by that, shooting a good field two days straight in a row, you can expect not to have many birds later. Doves may not have Einstein's IQ, but they're not stupid. They will definitely leave a field that's being shot too often.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Serves them right. When you're greedy, and I mean by that, shooting a good field two days straight in a row, you can expect not to have many birds later. Doves may not have Einstein's IQ, but they're not stupid. They will definitely leave a field that's being shot too often.

SRH
Not two days in a row , that was opening day two years in a row . I’m not sure what there protocol is for days and resting the field etc . They’ve got about 250 acres . Pretty much all pretty well covered with sunflowers .
Unread 12-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
I'll get in a car and drive to shoot doves! Georgia sounds better than Upstate NY in January

: )
Mexico sounds better than upstate NY in January/February
Unread 12-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Not two days in a row , that was opening day two years in a row . I’m not sure what there protocol is for days and resting the field etc . They’ve got about 250 acres . Pretty much all pretty well covered with sunflowers .
I misunderstood your meaning, Craig. No problem with opening day two years in a row.

You can often shoot the same field numerous times if you give it a rest between shoots ............ say a week or two between. We do that often in the early/mid seasons.

Best, SRH
Unread 12-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
I misunderstood your meaning, Craig. No problem with opening day two years in a row.

You can often shoot the same field numerous times if you give it a rest between shoots ............ say a week or two between. We do that often in the early/mid seasons.

Best, SRH
My retired friend usually shoots his groomed dove field once possibly twice a week for the first four weeks . These folks at this club we do damage control for I dunno . But at 5G’s to be a member I’d wanna have more than four shoots for my 5G’s !
Unread 12-31-2020, 05:24 PM   #17
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

We shoot opening day, then skip Labor Day (when the first Saturday is before Labor Day), then shoot the following Saturday again if there is adequate birds. From then on we only shoot it when there's birds aplenty to kill a few limits then leave some. And, we always pack up the guns early enough in the afternoon for the remaining birds to come in and feed unmolested.

I've been thinking about your post this morning about 50 shooters killing 50 limits. I'm not exaggerating when I say I couldn't find 50 shooters who could kill a limit, under the best conditions, no matter how hard I looked, or how long. There must be a better "grade" of dove shooter where you are, than here.

SRH
Unread 12-31-2020, 10:55 PM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
We shoot opening day, then skip Labor Day (when the first Saturday is before Labor Day), then shoot the following Saturday again if there is adequate birds. From then on we only shoot it when there's birds aplenty to kill a few limits then leave some. And, we always pack up the guns early enough in the afternoon for the remaining birds to come in and feed unmolested.

I've been thinking about your post this morning about 50 shooters killing 50 limits. I'm not exaggerating when I say I couldn't find 50 shooters who could kill a limit, under the best conditions, no matter how hard I looked, or how long. There must be a better "grade" of dove shooter where you are, than here.

SRH
This is no exaggeration while damage control I sat in an eight foot high tower blind on this piece and in one hour I had enough birds fly by me with what I’d call puddin shots where I coulda gotten the fifteen bird limit with a 410 and a box of shells . Those birds looked larger than softballs . As to the 50 shooters this is just info that was relayed to us by the guy in charge , if I had to hesitate a guess I’d expect there was some help given by some of the shooters to those not as lucky shall we say . You also need to consider a lot of those guys use the Mojo decoys and after they were done I’m sure they let others without those decoys use their spots and as said earlier I’m sure some padding may have been going on .
Unread 12-31-2020, 11:45 PM   #19
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mojos are great sometimes, and others they aren't worth the battery drain. The more Mojos there are in a field the less effective they are. I'll always remember the first time I ever put one out. A couple guys were sitting in the shade watching me set the thing up out from my stool a ways. I got it set up and turned it on. Before I got to my stool, where my gun was laying, they were hollering at me. I looked behind me to see several doves lighting by the Mojo. It drew them like yellow jackets to blood that afternoon. Within a couple years they often ignored it.

Some days now they don't seem to be worth the trouble of carrying them. They often still work great when they can be placed in an elevated position. On top of a center pivot irrigation system is super great. I have a 10 ft. pipe I put one on often. Much better elevated than near the ground, IMO.

SRH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: