Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
Amen Brother!
Sounds like a man having just attended the Church of the Wild Quail. Welcome, Brother Mike -- another believer.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Count me as another true believer. Great thread, and great pics. That cover you called "wooly" is light stuff here. We do get into a covey of wild birds out in the open occasionally, but when we do we know we'd better get our shooting in on the rise, because they are going straight to the nearest, heaviest, thickest cover imaginable. Smilax and devil vines, bay bushes, brier patches and wild plum thickets ........ just to mention a few.

We caught these out in the open edge, but you can see where they're heading.

You have the perfect excuse for not shooting well ........you were carrying someone else's gun!!

Thanks for sharing the hunt, SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Count me as another true believer. Great thread, and great pics. That cover you called "wooly" is light stuff here. We do get into a covey of wild birds out in the open occasionally, but when we do we know we'd better get our shooting in on the rise, because they are going straight to the nearest, heaviest, thickest cover imaginable. Smilax and devil vines, bay bushes, brier patches and wild plum thickets ........ just to mention a few.

We caught these out in the open edge, but you can see where they're heading.

You have the perfect excuse for not shooting well ........you were carrying someone else's gun!!

Thanks for sharing the hunt, SRH
Stan, I've shot at wild Bobs over dogs in the South (notice, shot "at"). It's like hunting a tiny grouse with rockets attached. You earn every bird, but for me, it's still better to come home empty handed for the chance at a wild Bob.

Keep the faith, Brother! Always good to know there's another choir member.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

New Millennium Bobs are where you find them, as Stan so aptly pointed out. Pop used to say Bob could not live where he had to "pack a lunch and pull a trailer," so you find them in some hellacious places to be sure. If you want a chance, you have to go in after them.

Photos:
1. We don't have the same clawing, clasping stuff I recall from my years in the South, and as Stan describes, but here on the edge of the prairie many things will stick you on the way into the ditch heading to a point. We've pulled long locust thorns out of dog pads many times...and a few out of our own hides.
2. There's a hard earned bird in my hand here, one from a covey that got up in the stuff you see behind me. You can't even swing the gun in a place like this, and generally you just hear the covey get up. It's not unusual to get up multiple coveys on a hunt and never have a chance to shoot on the rise.
3. BUT...we are still lickin' our chops at a chance to go again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1351.jpg (520.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1352.jpg (520.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2731.jpeg (485.0 KB, 1 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: