Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Last chance for deer
Unread 01-02-2021, 10:53 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Last chance for deer

Ohio muzzle loader started today, but this was probably going to be my last/only chance to hunt. My son wanted to hunt the other days, but couldnt today. I only have 1 ML , so I was going to let him have it the rest of the season. Saw nothing all day, and got out of the stand at 3:15 to take a short walk and warm up. Just as I got back to the ladder stand , deer started coming out in the field, keeping me from going back up, so I just leaned against a big sycamore tree. Two does a hundred yds away, then a 4 pt within 20 yds. You could hear him crunching the brassicas like a crisp apple. Then a couple more does, but couldnt get the gun up with the little buck right on top of me. Then an 8 pt stepped out walking away from me with the only available shot, the old Texas heart shot--I passed on that. Another bigger 8 pt stepped out and finally turned broadside at 60 yds. I shot quickly, but when the smoke cleared, he was lying there kicking, then suddenly jumped up and ran uphill into the woods. By the time I reloaded it was dark, found the blood trail, but walked a quarter mile back to the truck to get my headlamp. With good light found him 40 yds up in the woods. Just an avg/mediocre 8 pt--had passed on bigger early in bow and gun season, but wife reminded me yesterday that there was little left from last yrs muzzle loader doe, so we are now good for another year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210102_181020.jpg (500.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20210102_184736.jpg (535.5 KB, 2 views)
Unread 01-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Nice one Harold.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #3
Jeff S.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice buck, Harold
Jeff Stegmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Stegmeier For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2021, 11:35 PM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Much rather be hunting birds with the Parker 20, trying to figure out if I can make it to
Kansas, South Dakota, or Nebraska before the end of the season
Unread 01-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

That's a very nice deer, Harold. As for a bird hunting trip, I don't know what the conditions are like in Kansas or Nebraska, but we got hammered with two rounds of snow and ice. I'm pretty sure Kansas has the same. Not good for the birds, and not good to travel in. The forecast is for several days of highs near 40 next week, but it will take a lot to melt this ice covered snow.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank God it's pouring down rain this morning--Jeremy didnt want to hunt in it--me either, but I would have gone out with him to do some mini-drives. He has never used a muzzle loader, so I was going along and was going to teach him how to load it--not much to it with these modern in-lines, Triple 7 pellets, and sabot pistol bullets. Dam guns are accurate. I dont like mine much, but I've shot at 12 deer with it and made 11 , 1 shot kills, I usually pull the trigger on it once a year, so cant justify another. Hey wait, maybe give that gun to jeremy, and buy myself another, brilliant!
Unread 01-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Thank God it's pouring down rain this morning--Jeremy didnt want to hunt in it--me either, but I would have gone out with him to do some mini-drives. He has never used a muzzle loader, so I was going along and was going to teach him how to load it--not much to it with these modern in-lines, Triple 7 pellets, and sabot pistol bullets. Dam guns are accurate. I dont like mine much, but I've shot at 12 deer with it and made 11 , 1 shot kills, I usually pull the trigger on it once a year, so cant justify another. Hey wait, maybe give that gun to jeremy, and buy myself another, brilliant!
When we first bought our farm, out in the boonies of Putnam Co., MO, I ran into another deer hunter that lived in a double-wide not far down the dirt road from our farm. One day as I was driving out, he flagged me down and insisted that I come in his little shack that he called a shop. He was so proud to show me the muzzleloader he was working on, a new invention of his -- an in-line muzzle loader. His name was Tony Knight and this little unassuming gentleman did quite well for himself. I got to know Tony pretty well and we hunted the same great deer cover many years. He's been dead some years now, but I don't drive past his little trailer and not think of that day. In many ways his example defines the America that I grew up in and love.

Harold, you've inspired me to get my muzzleloader out and go a day or two in the last days of our season. Will you help me drag it out, though...that's the question?
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Absolutely Garry, might as well bring the setters along and head west afterwards. Friend of mine has one of Knights Zhongshan Range MLS, and its good out to 200yds or more.
Unread 01-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Congrats ! certainly works for me !
Unread 01-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,245 Times in 616 Posts

Default Nice Buck

Nice shooting Harold,
Inline muzzle loaders are amazingly accurate, I would like to order a Cooper with the case hardened action.

Here in Pa, there’s little incentive to buy a inline muzzle loader (can only use in early anger less season) but I’ve hunted in Maryland and have had one for a while for that purpose.

I kind of like that Pa is keeping the late muzzle loader as flintlock only, but taking a deer successfully with a flintlock rifle is something I haven’t accomplished. Frustrates the crap out of me, clean miss on a buck last Saturday evening.
Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote