Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Late Dove in VA
Unread 12-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Default Late Dove in VA

Seven of us went out this morning at dawn and waited for late season dove . We actually saw quite a few birds . But only killed six between us , I had two motorized Mojo decoys out in front of me and was able to get four . This I might add has been my ONLY dove hunt/shoot of 2020 . Used my normal sporting clays gun a VH 16 30” F&F . I was shooting plain old Federal ounce factory loads with #7 1/2’s . The combination worked quite well for the few shots it had .
Unread 12-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,453 Times in 966 Posts

We can't get a dove season passed here in NY. It's on my bucket list to do that : (
Unread 12-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,559 Times in 3,070 Posts

We have a continuous dove season in Missouri -- September through October. No one hunts dove in the northern part of the State after about mid-September. We often find lots of dove while quail hunting in December...and they are not legal at this time. I plan to petition the Conservation Commission to offer a split season, but I may be the only person who cares. I envy those of you who have a split season that allows later hunting.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
We can't get a dove season passed here in NY. It's on my bucket list to do that : (
Many years ago I had it in my head I wanted to kill a whitetail in every state that had season for them (and I never got very far with it) . Now there are just a couple in the south I’d like to take a deer . But RECENTLY I kinda got to thinking it would be nice to do a dove shoot in all the states in the old south . Doubt I ever get that one done but it’s nice to think about .
Unread 12-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Many years ago I had it in my head I wanted to kill a whitetail in every state that had season for them (and I never got very far with it) . Now there are just a couple in the south I’d like to take a deer . But RECENTLY I kinda got to thinking it would be nice to do a dove shoot in all the states in the old south . Doubt I ever get that one done but it’s nice to think about .
I'm a virgin. I never shot a dove. My dog flushed a woodchuck once and I dropped it with a .22 to the head on a dead run. A woodcock flew into my gun barrel so I got one of those without firing a shot. I shot at a grouse once and a grouse and a squirrel fell from the sky. I'd trade the woodchuck for a dove hunt.
Unread 12-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Down here the first few weeks of dove season can be good in a few places. After that, you can forget about it anywhere. Outlawing top sowed wheat for dove fields killed dove hunting in my area as we once knew it.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Down here the first few weeks of dove season can be good in a few places. After that, you can forget about it anywhere. Outlawing top sowed wheat for dove fields killed dove hunting in my area as we once knew it.
I’m most likely wrong , but I think the decline in the number of working dairey farms and farmers chopping silage early put a crimp in the resident birds . Most of the farms around here that had dairy cows are now almost all beef operations now and I “believe” they feed mostly hay and shelled corn .
Unread 12-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #8
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have no real working knowledge of farming other than planting food plots. I look at old images of pheasants and grouse on overgrown farms and homesteads and while I've had some great memories, I am afraid we are all missing the good old days. I'm not about to spend $15,000 to fly to Argentina to shoot doves, but if I could do it on a long weekend trip from upstate NY I'd do it.
Unread 12-30-2020, 11:11 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
I have no real working knowledge of farming other than planting food plots. I look at old images of pheasants and grouse on overgrown farms and homesteads and while I've had some great memories, I am afraid we are all missing the good old days. I'm not about to spend $15,000 to fly to Argentina to shoot doves, but if I could do it on a long weekend trip from upstate NY I'd do it.
There are several sorta pricey “dove clubs” in my relative area . We actually do damage control on one of them to try and deter the deer from the sunflowers . What good it does is questionable but nevertheless . The first couple years we control hunted for this club those guys would put 50 people in the field snd they would ALL limit out that’s 750 birds two opening days in a row and god knows how many they fringed or dropped and couldn’t find . This year their success wasn’t nearly as good . I’ve got another friend that’s a long time participant at Sanford and now a retired beef farmer . He had about a 5 acre field he groomes each year for his dove shoots . Last two years have been a bit less than anticipated like the club I mentioned . His years before had been like the dove club and they’d all limited out although only about twenty folks at those shoots . Anyway regardless it seems it ain’t what it once was
Unread 12-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,918 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Down here the first few weeks of dove season can be good in a few places. After that, you can forget about it anywhere.
Not quite anywhere.

I'm a good bit further inland than Mills, 70-80 miles, and I'm in a highly agricultural area where lots of peanuts, corn and sunflower are grown. His experience with late season doves don't reflect mine, at all. We have excellent late season shoots around here. I was on a good one just a couple weeks ago. I hear lots of people in this area complain that "there just aren't doves like there used to be". Probably so, but there's still excellent late season shooting to be had if you have access to enough fields and scout them diligently. I spend much more time scouting than I do shooting, and it pays off. Most people don't go to the trouble. I shoot with a group of about 8 - 10 people in the late season, and three of us spend a lot of time scouting for doves. "It don't come easy". Just because the sunflower or millet field, that provided good shoots in the early season, doesn't hold any birds in the late season doesn't mean there aren't doves around. Late season doves are much more fickle than early season ones. They prefer the high fat and protein content of peanuts, or corn, when the temperatures get lower in the late season. A biologist once told us that a dove can die from malnutrition, full of sunflowers, when it turns cold enough. But, you can have 600 feeding in a 50 acre peanut field today, and 80% of them may just pick up and leave overnight. Scouting........ scouting.

We are very fortunate right now, in that our late season runs from Dec. 8 through the last day of January. One of the best shoots I've ever been on here was on the last afternoon of the late season a couple years ago. There must have been 15 shooters there, in a corn field, and everyone of us had super shooting.

Late season peanut field shoot. (Sorry about the "non-Parker").

SRH

Last edited by Stan Hillis; 12-31-2020 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: added a pic
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: