Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

The ramblings of a curmudgeon.
Unread 12-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
Tom Black
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default The ramblings of a curmudgeon.

I’m kinda new to this forum an if this thread offends anyone I humbly apologize. First, I love old guns, old camping/fishing equipment, an vintage hunting pictures. I try and hunt as they did years ago. I abhor camo, synthetic stocked guns, hunting over feeders (bait). I’m a curmudgeon.
This first picture is of brothers Jess and Lloyd Peters. They were fanatical bird hunters. I grew up in Livingston Co. KY and when I was very young Jess was our neighbor. Dad said Jess hunted with 20 gauge Model 12 that had a stock made by Jess. I have searched the country over for it without any luck. Dad said Jess never missed a bird. He had an old bird dog, cream colored with spots and long silky hair. His name was Nicky. I can remember dad an I going to visit Jess, them sitting close by the fireplace, Nicky stretched out in front of it, his old bones soaking up the warmth and me rubbing his soft ears. One summer Jess backed over the old fellow with his pickup, killing him. That was it for Jess and bird hunting. Because of my jet black hair, Jess nick named me Little Beaver.
In 1967, my 2 cousins, Jimmy and Doug Black killed 555 quail around home. Jim used an early Superposed with a solid rib. Doug hunted with a Fox Sterlingworth. Both guns were 12’s. I know where the Browning lives but the Sterlingworth is long gone. This was a 60 day season. Enjoy.
Tom Black

Next is my Trojan. It’s not a safe queen and certainly not in the league of some of the Parker’s I see on this forum. The receiver has been refinished long ago but she’s as tight as the day made and the barrels ring like wind chimes when thumped. It was made in 1930.

My first love, after my wife are old Winchester’s. I killed this doe a few weeks ago with my light weight ‘86 in 33 WCF. It was made in 1910.

Opening day of our modern day deer season I killed this 16 point non typical with my 375 H&H Model 70, it was made in ‘57. I had downloaded a Speer 235 bullet an it kicks about like my old steel butted ‘06 does loaded with 180’s.

In 1935, my great uncle and name sake bought this little Winchester Model 67. It was the first gun I ever shot. It has been in our family for 85 years. It now belongs to my cousin. He was good enough to loan it to me a few weeks ago an I killed 2 young grays with it. She is in very rough shape but as far as I’m concerned, it’s priceless.

Tom Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,207 Times in 12,371 Posts

Great stuff Tom. I could read those kind of tales all day long.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

That is way cool! I love those stories too
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Tom I have a model 67 rifle myself. It was my grandfather's rifle. He passed away in the middle of the 1960s when I was almost too young to remember him. It too is worn, but in decent condition. Thanks for posting.
Unread 12-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,791 Times in 3,967 Posts

great tales and pictures this is as much of hunting as the hunt it self....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

You gotta love those Winchesters. I have a reduced load for my pre64 375. It feels like a 243 but is the hammer of Thor on a deer and you can eat right to the hole
Unread 12-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

Hey Tom, I live in Campbell county ky. I remember those quail days well. You ought to join the PGCA membership and get our magazine. It’s always got great stories about hunting and guns. You could even write your stories and submit them for publication. Hope to meet you one day.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 12-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,572 Times in 3,078 Posts

May the "ole days" live on! Thanks for posting.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

My Mother's .22 was a Winchester Model 67 with the finger grooves like that. My first .22 was a later one with the fuller forearm. My Great Uncle who was a gunsmith in Seattle fitted a grip cap, an ebony forearm tip, checkered it to match a Model 70 Super-Grade, gave it a oil finish and fitted it with a Mossberg scope. I was pretty proud of it!! Unfortunately they were both stolen out of my Father's house in 1978 along with his AE-Grade 16-gauge Remington Hammerless Double serial number P136036.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

I need to find out what make and model my .22 is. It has been in the family a long time and it never occurred to me to find out the make and model
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote