Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

A few years ago, the Commandant of The Marine Corps promoted Gomer to Lance Corporal and presented a certificate of same to Jim Nabors.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Well- "Goool-ley" old Gomer has a Parker
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Well- "Goool-ley" old Gomer has a Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lien View Post
I remember seeing that episode about a year ago. Gomer was running around waving a Parker that Andy had given him to help out with armored car guard duty, and yes, it had very lonnnnng barrels... Was probably Nash B's long lost 34" Parker fowler...

CSL
Gomer with only one shell for his Parker- and Barney Fife with one shell for his wheelgun--I do know of one fairly current movie where the Parker is mentioned, in an oblique manner- John Gresham's novel "Runaway Jury" the plot is a civil suit against a Southern tobacco company- but in the Hollywood version, with Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman and John Clusak-- the plot is a civil suit against a Southern gun mfg. and at one point the President/CEO of that firm is shooting skeet, you can see the recessed hingepin of the side-by he is shooting- he calls pull- hits the clay, opens the shotgun and the spent shell ejects, and he makes a point about a 70 year old shotgun still being reliable, unlike some people of that age he knew- Had to be a Parker-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,832 Times in 1,378 Posts

After watching these episodes I reminded again of the great talent in acting, scripting and producing TV shows of the 50's and 60's. It seems very true that today we have 200 channels, 24/7 with nothing entertaining to watch. You have to wonder how any Parker came to be a prop gun and when used as one had it been made inoperable for safety reasons. Even more interesting to know where it is today? To me that gun has interesting provenance from it's use in the show. Sorry but I doubt I could resist yelling "Shazam" everytime I took a bird with it
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,331 Times in 12,400 Posts

I wonder how many times during rehersal it slipped off that gas pump and clattered to the pavement
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,903 Times in 4,771 Posts

Yup, a Parker, and the one in the last scene seems to have shorter barrels than the one in earlier scenes. Sure can't tell the grade or configuration except that the last scene gun seems to be a large bore, 16 or 12, splinter forend, and 28" or 30" barrels.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,331 Times in 12,400 Posts

I think they hacksawed the barrels to make it easier for Gomer to get into and out of the cruiser with it.

Hmmm.... this sheds new light of why so many Parkers have shorter barrels than when they left Meriden.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote