Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i just thought i had loaded a 3 inch 410 with 1 ounce of shot...i was using one of the old powder and shot measuring devices..turns out that 1 ounce of shot even though filled to the brim does not weigh 1 ounce using the shot measurement...i weighed thecontents of cup and it only weighed 3/4 ounce on scales...the shot measuring device is badly off by 1/4 ounce.. after putting correct amount of powder and very thin over powder card i filled the hull to the top then weighed the contents.. not hardly 7/8 ounce of shot... i retried this with no 9 shot and it weighed a little more than the no6s i was using. but still did not weigh 7/8 ounce... all said and done you can not put 1 ounce of shot in a 3 inch 410 hull with the correct powder load in it... only way to get 1 ounce in a 410 3 inch hull would be to leave out the powder..ha ive was wrong in saying that i had shot 1 ounce loads in a 410 no possible way to get that amount of shot in the hull..the shot measuring device was off by a lot so fellas i hope you check your shot measuring devices.. has anyone had this problem before.. bill you are right i will need to get me some longer cases or hulls to be able to shoot 1 ouce 410 loads...been trying to thinck how to lenthen plastic hulls but aint come up with any thing... any suggestions... charli
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Order some 4" brass hulls from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. However, they may be a bit thick and not hold an ounce either.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was looking on gunbrokers collector ammo site and found a 4 1/2 inch 410 loaded round seems like some body beat me to the 1 ounce load and maybe more..looks like a lot of shot in there..hope some of you other shell collectors look at this shell and give some info on it..ive seen other loads like it but this is the longest one ive seen...lookout you big bore guns the mighty 410 is coming through..ha please some body tell us something about this round..destrey maybe you can tell us... charlie
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

caint beieve nobody aint looked at that 4 1/2 inch 410 magnum shell and give me their opinion of it... charlie