Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 01-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

I'm a fan of #5 shot for most game, other than small birds of course. I've killed a lot of squirrels with #5 and ducks too. I've even killed several geese with #5 shot when they showed up on a duck hunt where we weren't really expecting to see any. That being said, here's a limit of squirrels I killed with RST 7 1/2 in the 1 1/4 ounce load just this past fall. One was a bit of a long shot and I had to shoot him twice, the rest were one shot kills.

Destry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amy Destry Cabin Vacay and Canning 10.28.13 024.jpg (523.3 KB, 1 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
I'm a fan of #5 shot for most game, other than small birds of course. I've killed a lot of squirrels with #5 and ducks too. I've even killed several geese with #5 shot when they showed up on a duck hunt where we weren't really expecting to see any. That being said, here's a limit of squirrels I killed with RST 7 1/2 in the 1 1/4 ounce load just this past fall. One was a bit of a long shot and I had to shoot him twice, the rest were one shot kills.

Destry
Those look a little but smaller than our greys But nice photo nonetheless . I love shooting squirrels . I never get more than 2 . My boss told me you cant stalk and shoot squirrels but to sit against a tree and shoot them . I might go with 1 1/4 oz loads next time aswell
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The blacks from that area are actually just a color phase of standard grey squirrels so the size is similar.

I like the heavier loads in case you get into some big fox squirrels or taller timber.

I'm kind of a stand and stalk hunter as far as they go. I walk a bit then stand and listen for a bit. If I hear something that sounds promising I'll move in that direction slowly, stopping to listen occasionally along the way. My eyes aren't tremendous so I usually hear them first, then move closer till I see a limb shake.

If you get on a nut tree that they're using heavy, your boss' prescription works fine. You can just sit there on a log and wait for them to come to you. But if they're scattered then staying on a slow move will put more in your bag normally.

Destry

P.S. I wasn't using the 7 1/2 shot out or preference, I was just out of #5 RST loads at the time. I've got some paper 1 1/4 of #6 that are good but they're 5 dram loads and out of that English gun in the picture they seem pretty hot as it's not real heavy. Figured I'd be easy on the old girl and stick with the RST that day.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

bet them black squirls taste about like the grey squirl too..thanks for the hunt...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #15
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The squirrels from that far north aren't as tasty as ones killed down here. There's no hickory up there to speak of so they're mostly acorn fed that time of year. Later in the season it's all pine feed and they're awful.

DLH
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hunt the same way mostly just walk through the woods . the only time I see fox squirrels down here is in pine woods, I hunt in oak woods so its only greys . I been wanting to shoot some of those small black field birds that pick over the peanut and corn fields . there was 1000s of them out today but I had to go to work :/
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:06 AM   #17
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Starr View Post
I have seen people fight over using #9s on quail Craig
In central Virginia wild birds are a thing of the past .

The last 3 or 4 dozen I killed were preserve birds . I actually had to make myself shoot slower with a 28 gauge loaded with 3/4 ounce of #9's or I'd mince the birds to where they weren't fit to eat .

I used to try to shoot trap birds as soon as I saw them and pen raised birds don't stand a chance when one shoots in that fashion .
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #18
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

All of our clients were pretty wealthy some have been in forbes and they expected to kill quail so the guy running the operation would buy 20,000 quail or so a year and we would release so many in predetermined spots the day before the hunt . None of the hunters were real good shots on game or shooting clays . Cant expect to shoot a gun 1 month out the year and be proficient with it . We always hunted with a party of 4 hunters , 2 in field 2 on the carriage . Id say average kill for the day would be 30-40 birds . Now there was these two guys in their 30s killed they 130 birds , it was the owner of the plantations son . Now the owner of the plantation set a limit of 65 birds a day . But his son figured shoot as many as your skill allows in a 8hr period . one guy accidently got a box of 9s somehow and he was getting more kills and the others guys felt cheated he got 9s and all other cases were 8s . So they wanted to argue over who was going to get the 9s . Id say the quail huntin we did had to be 15-20 yards sometimes less .

Craig my brothers boss is a big farmer locally and just bought a 3000 acre quail reserve he's going to bulldozer for farming land. Our deer land is right across the street and last year I noticed birds been coming across the road living in our deer woods so im hoping the rest will follow when the reserve gets deforested . Makes me a little mad . I didn't hunt quail on our place last year I just feed them milo and corn .
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #19
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Starr View Post
Craig my brothers boss is a big farmer locally and just bought a 3000 acre quail reserve he's going to bulldozer for farming land. Our deer land is right across the street and last year I noticed birds been coming across the road living in our deer woods so im hoping the rest will follow when the reserve gets deforested . Makes me a little mad . I didn't hunt quail on our place last year I just feed them milo and corn .
Milton are you in Carolina or Georgia ?

Perhaps you can hook me up with someone in Carolina so I can pop a deer !

I wanna shoot one on a drive down there with a shotgun and buckshot . I don't care if it's a doe , spike or the new worlds record I'd just like to pop one with a side by side shooting buckshot on a man drive or a hound drive . Do the Archibald Rutledge thing so to speak LOL's !
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Craig I am in South Ga , I see your in Virginia I was born in Norfolk .
There are plenty of old school plantations down here that most likely offer the hunt you describe . in fact I heard them countless times during deer season of them chasing deer with dogs and hunting with buck shot probably a few hundred yards from here . Craig everyone hunts in my county . While you can hear guys hunting with dogs to the east I could hear guys shooting ducks to the south and quail hunters to the north I kid you not .

I don't know what type of budget you have but I Know of 2 highly respected plantations locally if your interested .