Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

DX-12 Spreader Wad
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default DX-12 Spreader Wad

Has anyone used the 12ga DX-12 Spreader Wad from Ballistic Products? If so how does it perform? I would also like to find a copy of there recommended reload data for either Federal Paper, AA and/or STS hulls.

Thanks,
Derrick
Derrick Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I loaded some shells for Travis Sims a year or so ago using the "X" style spreader from Ballistic Products. I used load data for 1/8 oz more shot than what you are loading and inserted the X after the shot was dropped. Travis said they woked well for him, but for me they were a pain to reload. The PolyWad "SpredR" insert is what I use and is easy to insert after the shot has been dropped. Even with a MEC 9000 that automaticaly indexes you can ease the handel up enough to seat the SpreadR without dropping more shot and powder.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Keith Lembo
PGCA Member

Member Info

The DX spreader wad is fantastic--my friends and I shoot thousands of these every year. Most of my guns tend to be long-barreled, tight choked pigeon/waterfowl guns, and in a typical round of clays I might shoot half DX spreaders. While I hesitate to recommend loads, I find if you stick with a favorite low pressure 1 oz. load in a Fed/Fiocchi etc. straight wall hull, you'll be fine. Ballistic also has data available. I wouldn't load them in a tapered case like an STS or AA. A great setup is a MEC 600jr. with a steel shot drop tube--it fits right over the X insert on the DX.
Keith Lembo is offline   Reply With Quote