Notices

#7 frame 10 gauge
Unread 07-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default #7 frame 10 gauge

So I've been reading alot of parker history these past few days. Just seen that parker made 10 gauges on a #7 frame , I thought the 10s built on 6s were heavy .
Does anyone have a picture of a 10 ga on the #7 frame?
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

milton were did you read about the 10 ga on a 7 frame....there are some people on the forem with 6 frame 10s...would like to see that 7 frame 10 ga....i have a 7 frame lifter 8 ga and a 6 frame hammer 8 ga....weridst thing i got is a 10 ga hammer gun a 3frame with factory 30 inch barrels the barrels weigh marked on flats 7 lb 14 ounce...thought i had a winner with this one but seen another 30 inch barrel 10 ga weighed 8 lb 6 ounce for the barrels....missed buying that gun by a hair....i too like long barrels- heavy guns- long chambers....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
milton were did you read about the 10 ga on a 7 frame....there are some people on the forem with 6 frame 10s...would like to see that 7 frame 10 ga....i have a 7 frame lifter 8 ga and a 6 frame hammer 8 ga....weridst thing i got is a 10 ga hammer gun a 3frame with factory 30 inch barrels the barrels weigh marked on flats 7 lb 14 ounce...thought i had a winner with this one but seen another 30 inch barrel 10 ga weighed 8 lb 6 ounce for the barrels....missed buying that gun by a hair....i too like long barrels- heavy guns- long chambers....charlie
Charlie I didnt know you had two 8 gauges ? I remember a few years ago you telling me about the one with 28" barrels I believe ? Can you send me pictures of your other one ?

One the PGCA main page its lists that the #7 frame came in 8 and 10 gauge but that could be a typo ? The past two days ive been trying do dig up research on all the uncommon 10 gauge setups parker made .

I recently came across a 8 ga hammer gun with 30" a forum member checked the serial number they are suppose to be 34" so thats a pass for me . I seen the cost of having a set of cut down barrels sleeved back to their original length and wow cant see doing that when it costs as much as the gun itself . The 32" 8 ga parker I have my eye on has its original 32" barrels thats the one I am planning to try and grab .
Unread 07-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Ive been trying to find a picture of a 8 ga parker hammer gun with 32" barrels
Unread 07-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

there is a guy on this forum that has a 6 frame 10 ga that weighs over 15 lbs biggest 10 ga i know of....i remember the barrels weigh over 10 lbs.....and it has 2 7/8 inch chambers....coupla guys on here have 10 ga magnums.....charlie
Unread 07-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
The past two days ive been trying do dig up research on all the uncommon 10 gauge setups parker made .
Depending on how in depth you wanna take it what you are pursuing could take a lifetime
Unread 07-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Depending on how in depth you wanna take it what you are pursuing could take a lifetime
I love the looks of the hammerless 10 ga parkers dont get me wrong .
But a #3 frame 10 ga seems pretty common . I have been trying to dig to see what is perhaps uncommon 10 ga parkers but ones you would see still come up for sale .

Locally about 3 yrs ago or 4 , there was a hammerless parkers 10 ga with 36" barrels that sold for 15,000$ .

I doubt any of the guys who own the #6 frame 10s would be willing to sell them.

I was looking at the parker story book and the prices ive seen are in the 500$ range . Thats out of my range right now as I am probably going to have to invest into alot of loading supplies for the 8 ga front stuff and If i am lucky to grab that parkers 8 ga the dies set is about 380$ . I have read that the lee 50 bmg single press will work but the handle it comes with is crap but works wonders if replaced with a 2ft steel lever .

So my ability to do any in depth research is limited right now .
Unread 07-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
there is a guy on this forum that has a 6 frame 10 ga that weighs over 15 lbs biggest 10 ga i know of....i remember the barrels weigh over 10 lbs.....and it has 2 7/8 inch chambers....coupla guys on here have 10 ga magnums.....charlie
Charlie I have found 2 ithaca NIDs in 10 ga 3.5 mag field grade guns .
But I dont know just looking at them they dont have the grace of a parkers in my opinion . Steve has a beautiful beretta silver hawk 10 listed but the beavertail forend just kills it for me
Unread 07-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

milt them ithaca magnums are real collectable too....i ve always wanted one but have not found one in my price range yet.... i too like splinter forearms.....hang in there theres a gun with your name on it out there maybe several.....charlie
Unread 07-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
milt them ithaca magnums are real collectable too....i ve always wanted one but have not found one in my price range yet.... i too like splinter forearms.....hang in there theres a gun with your name on it out there maybe several.....charlie
I wonder how does the ithaca mag 10 sxs compare to the
beretta silver hawk 10 gauges ?

Charlie we have alot of water here for wildfowling lots of mini islands to hunt from as well on our 37,000 acre lake .Ive never hunted waterfowl locally but I probably would if i got a 10 ga 3.5

Charlie I think there is a ithaca nid 10 mag right now for 2900$ listed .
I dont look at grades really as a requirement when looking for big bore sxs .
Theres not many quailty made 10 gauge 3.5s on the market or made originally . I know theres the ithacas and the silver hawks . I see alot of the richland 711 10 ga up for sale . Have always wondered what one of those would look liked if restocked with better wood and classic dimensions like a splinter forend .

Theres a beautiful ph 10 ga parkers that has a nasty scratch on the breech end of the barrels I was looking at . Looks like a lion swiped at it , I was thinking perhaps if the barrels were reblued that it would be a beautiful gun again .

It seems to me while the 8 gauges are valuable they dont seem desirable , it seems like most of them sit around for years before someone picks them up .
I dont know if this is due to them not being legal to hunt waterfowl with or what . I think someone said in another post on here that 8 gauges are banned for hunting in 30 states .

My Dad has a friend with 4,000 acres so im going to see if i can get permission to hunt coyotes on his land with either the 8 ga or 10 .