Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Q1 and Q2 Chokes for Waterfowl
Unread 06-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Rudolf Blumentritt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Q1 and Q2 Chokes for Waterfowl

I am considering using a 12 gauge Parker Repro with Q1 and Q2 chokes for waterfowl, particularly decoying ducks. Anyone have experience with a gun choked like this using steel shot? I guess I would think with steel it might pattern more like IC/MOD, but not sure. I know the best way to find out is to pattern it, but wondering if anyone has any real world experience with a similar configuration and what results they have had. Thanks!
Rudolf Blumentritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

I knew a fellow in Maine who used a Ruger Red Label O/U 12 with skeet chokes for ducks over decoys for many years and he was quite successful with it.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

As you say, patterning is the true proof, but I'd say that Q1/Q2 would be about perfect for ducks over decoys with steel shot. Maybe it would be best to limit shots to 30-35 yards, but that's plenty over decoys. And I wouldn't bother with 3" magnums either. 2 3/4" #2s work great for me, although I now use hand loads of Nice Shot non-toxic shot so that I can use it in any of my shotguns.
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Years ago when non-tox substitutes came on the market and the "duck intelligentsia" stepped up their campaigns to trash the performance of steel shot on waterfowl, I started to buy up all the steel shot I could find at gun shows. Rarely did I pay over $10 per box of 25 regardless of brand, since everyone was trying to dump it in favor of the uber-hyped (and even more expensive) non-tox stuff.

Over time I built up a nice hoard (60-75 boxes of 25 rnds. ea.) of steel shot in both 2 3/4 and 3" loads which I intended for use as an alternate shot when I either wouldn't pay for other type non-tox or didn't want to take my primo SxSs and O/Us out for "hazardous duty" (treacherous weather conditions, salt water, etc.).

For situations like this I bought both a Browning CItori 3" Mag O/U and a Browning Japan 3" Magnum A-5 autoloader, both of which had Invector system screw chokes, and both of which I figured I could replace if they went overboard, unlike my other primo doubles.

The more I used these two dedicated steel shot guns, the more I liked them and the more I learned about using steel. I had already taken one of Tom Roster's steel shot shooting clinics sponsored by the MD DNR in the 1980s, so I knew the stuff would work. For all my Canada goose shooting either from field pits or water blinds I used #BB steel; for all duck shooting I used #1 for pass shooting BIG ducks (Blacks, Cans, late-season Mallards), otherwise #2 for decoying or close pass shooting, and occasionally #3 when I could pick and choose my shots in good cover.

By far the greatest eye-opener was the degree of choke best for a given range - anything over decoys, skeet (Yes, SKEET!!) to IMP CYL; close pass shooting IMP CYL to MOD; 40+ yards MOD to IMP MOD. I don't think I ever put a FULL steel shot tube in either gun.

I love to shoot my classic Belgian Browning O/Us and my Parker and Fox "heavies" on waterfowl and will pay whatever the freight is quoted for non-tox for them (my personal favorite has always been Kent Tungsten Matrix - patterns like a house afire and my vintage guns LOVE it!). But when the situation or conditions demand it, there's nothing wrong with a good steel load.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,344 Times in 4,421 Posts

An old friend of ours in Savannah who was one of the best shots of his generation around here, shot skeet/skeet on everything, including ducks. I have a GH with very little choke in each barrel and have shot ducks successfully with Nice Shot no. 2's.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote