Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

2 7/8" 10ga Reloading Data
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Default 2 7/8" 10ga Reloading Data

Attached is a PDF copy of the spreadsheet for loads I have been able to find so far for the short ten. The loads are exclusive of the Sherman Bell data many of us our familiar with. Please note I have given credit to the person who started the spreadsheet and shared it with me as well as citing the source of the information, some of it from the 1960's. Not all components are available today but I think the data is interesting and useful. It is obvious a variety of Alliant and IMR powders will work in the short ten. I thought it was interesting Hercules (forerunner to Alliant) did not bother to list hull type or primer type nor chamber pressure in the 1968 guide. You will need to zoom this to 200% to read it easily, I had to shrink it to keep my format in tact.

If you run across any other published loads please let me know about them and I will update this. Enjoy.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

im printing it off rite now or i should say my wife is... thanks pete... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

boy thats a pile of reloading...5 pages worth it took me awhile last night to read all these recipes...there now in myreloading book theres some good stuff in here....thanksfor the info charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Don Ay
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks for sharing that!
Don Ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,782 Times in 4,717 Posts

Very interesting information and a lot of work to compile. Thanks. There probably isn't anything in there that will blow up a good gun. However, we sure don't need any 1285 or 1300 fps loads for any reason I can think of. Try to avoid those loads or back off the powder if the pressure is high enough.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Very interesting information and a lot of work to compile. Thanks. There probably isn't anything in there that will blow up a good gun. However, we sure don't need any 1285 or 1300 fps loads for any reason I can think of. Try to avoid those loads or back off the powder if the pressure is high enough.
Thank you Bill, it was kind of a fun task and didn't seem like work. PDF is great but Excel is very powerful tool and lets me sort the data how I desire, say by powder type or pressure or any combination. You are right when you say we don't need any 1285 to 1360 fps loads, 1150 to 1200 is where I want my loads to be. As you can see pressures were not given by Hercules in the 60's and early 70's. In spite of the lack of Rem SP hulls, 57 primers and the convenience of the SP10 wad vs card wad columns I think this gives a good idea of the powders that will work and idea of how much of them to use. If I find additional data I'll update this sheet and repost. I wrote to Alliant about loads for the short ten and my use with some of their powders, as yet no response. In the meantime I plan to use my head and play with Green Dot and Unique loadings. If they shoot consistently with good results over time I will probably send them off to Precision Reloading and get the velocity and pressure data from a 5 shot string.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pete, nice work - thanks - Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Harm For Your Post:
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Attached to this message is my original spreadsheet with 6 additional loads, lead and ITX shot from info published by Ballistic Products. Again you will have to zoom this to 150 or 200% for easier reading, I had to make it small to keep it on a single page across. The new loads are in yellow highlight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here is a revised and updated version of my 2 7/8" 10 gauge reloading data spreadsheet. There are 10 new loads (highlighted in yellow) since the last time I posted it including some ITX, Steel and Bismuth loads. The Fed Hull with 40gr of Blue Dot and 1 1/2 ounce of Bismuth looks like a very promising goose load and it is less than 8000 psi.

All Non-Tox load recipes are in bold green font.

I have also added/incorporated all the Sherman Bell recipes so this can be a one stop shop comprehensive short ten reloading guide. Enjoy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
If Only
Unread 05-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
shane johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default If Only

Great stuff, if only you had some for 2 5/8".....
shane johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane johnson For Your Post: