Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

2 nd day hunt report
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 2 nd day hunt report

i did not get to go turkey hunting the first day the season opened in mississippi on friday...first time in my life its ever done this...well went saturday it was a good day no wind and about 45 degree temperature..i heard no gobbling going on early that morning but about 8.30 a m i called and a hen answered me across a small creek it took them about 15 minutes before they flew into the field i was set up in..they really liked the hen decoys one little fellow with about a half inch beard fuzzed up and was rubbing shoulders with her... 2 nd little fellow had no beard that i could see and he could only attemt about a half fuzzed up stance..there was seven of them they finally wondered off after not getting any attention from the hen decoys.. in about 30 minutes 3 long beards came into field at about 2 hundred yards i never could get them any closer...i had to leave at 9.30 so no turkey killed...then went this morning i only heard one gobble and never heard another peep.again left at 8.00 oclock to go to church so will be going early in the morning totin that old ten ga parker... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Darn it Charlie if only you had taken your 8 bore the 200 yard shot would have been easy. Darn the bad luck anyway. I know you are wanting to make it sporting for the turkey and give them a chance to come in closer. Ha...

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Charlie, we have to wait until May 3rd to Turkey hunt here in NH!!!!!!!!!!! I was at my camp in Pittsburg, NH this weekend getting in a little late riding, and it was -6 this morning when we got up!!!!!!!! Good luck hunting.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I went several times this weekend. For all of our talk on here about long range shots, I had one come up about 5 paces from me. I heard calling and calling and next I knew he darted from behind a tree and almost ran into me. He escaped. I took my son Harry out Saturday afternoon and we heard some but they would not come. We saw them in a small field on the way back and there was about five hens for every one gobbler. Went out this morning and had three gobbling, but then all the hens on Dad's place found them and that was that.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

them hens will sure mess a good thing up in a hurry..it s raining hear today i got up early but only heard one hen....
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

To quote my brother, you can't compete with the real thing. The season is early and Georgia opens up this weekend, so hopefully luck will change.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
For all of our talk on here about long range shots, I had one come up about 5 paces from me. I heard calling and calling and next I knew he darted from behind a tree and almost ran into me. He escaped.
Such is life sometimes... He's probably telling that story to impress the hens.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

You know, I bet he was doing that Saturday afternoon when I saw them with all the hens.
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

well i got up at 4.00 this morning fixing too load up the truck and head to the woods...my uncle called me last night said he got a gobbler that weighed 20 lbs and sporting a 9 inch beard...the ve not been gobbling much here nothing was heard yesterday or seen... gotta go... charlie
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

what a day its been today im tierd and wore out...was in my blind by 6.30 with decoys put out..man was it cold a fella got be part crazy to git out and set and freeze looking for a turkeyany way i heard not a peep...the sun finally poped out about 10.00 but was not warming me up much i had been throwing my best calls into the wind but still no gobble...just then i thought i heard something and i had it was 2 dogs a really running something then i seen what it was 3 deer old does came close enough to have got them with the bird shot...i decided to go and eat at the house this was at 11.00 by 12.00 i had my bycickle loaded up into truck and old single barrel 12 with a rope tied on it for a sling...that bycikle sure let me cover a lot of ground but still no turkey seen...got back to truck and went looking at some large fields using the bino..but no turkey seen by 4.00 i called it a day.... charlie