Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #81
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Some of us "Parker guys" were hunting birds in South Dakota a few years back and we kicked up a few turkeys in a patch of pine trees in a ravine. I wandered over to have a look and found that they clearly had been chowing down on a very dead compadre. Anyone ever seen that one before??
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #82
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,436 Times in 12,431 Posts

Being ground-feeding scavengers they'll eat about anything... especially if there be maggots in it.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #83
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I suppose it's best then that none of you turkey hunters expire while in the woods, eh..?
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #84
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Speaking of turkeys being ground-feeding scavengers -

1/4 mile from my house is the local Frito Lay distribution warehouse.
On their breaks during the normal workday employees there throw all sorts of 'unsaleable' damaged product out on the back parking lot next to the woods. The turkeys there, known locally as the "Frito Lay Flock" seem to know exactly when break time is.
We can always tell the regulars from the newcomers because the regulars' upper beak is pretty well worn off from pecking pavement.

If hunting were allowed in the adjacent woods I wouldn't need any of the customary hen and jake decoys - I'd just spread out a fake blacktop mat sprinkled liberally with Fritos...

I'll bet those birds would taste good... especially with stuffing made from Lays products.

If you're wondering why there are no turkeys in the pictures... I took the pictures at break time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6176.jpg (509.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6177.jpg (498.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6179.jpg (479.3 KB, 3 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #85
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,909 Times in 3,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Garry, my favorite turkey gun is my Rem 870 Wingmaster 12 ga that I bought with my money made by throwing hay bales in the summer( $1.00/hr) when I was 17.
It now sports a 21" barrel with a turkey X-Full choke, and a 2X Weaver scope. Put the crosshairs on the wattles and down goes the bird. More importantly, it has a sling, making it much easier to get around when moving. I shot my first bird this year with it--the second bird was with the Grade 2 hammer gun.
Sure killed a lot of deer with that gun also, with a rifled choke tube in place, and still have its original 28" barrel.
Harold, I think the 870 has some pretty fine history, and most certainly a wide following. My first turkey gun was a 36" H&R 12 gauge that my wife bought me back when we were in college in Athens (and were both on food stamps). She bought it at a local pawn shop, and I killed quite a few Toms with it for a number of years. Your 870 also has the added attraction of a great personal history as well. That makes a gun special.

At the risk of ridicule, I was carrying my Mossberg pump gun. It's got a sling, doesn't weigh all that much, has luminous sites...and shoots Winchester Longbeard shells accurately to pretty significant distances. One of my goals for this Fall is to take a turkey with my EH 10. I bought it just for such hunting.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #86
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,882 Times in 2,040 Posts

Cold, rainy morning. Slipped out back of the house at 11:00 am, and set up against some round bales in a hay field . No response to calling, waited a half hour and a bird gobbled just over the crest of the hill--less than a hundred yds away. Thought he was coming right in, but then he turned and walked out of sight while gobbling to every thing I thru at him. Darn!
Was carrying a nice little Lefever G grade Damascus 16 F/F with 1 oz RST 6's.
May try again tomorrow, or might go fishing--or hey, might do both. This quarantine thing is really complicating my life.
Unread 05-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #87
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,882 Times in 2,040 Posts

Strolled out the back door at a leisurely 9:00am yesterday, and spotted 2 longbeards and 2 hens at the edge of the hayfield 300+ yds away. Snuck around the back of a line of round bales, crawled in-between 2 and set up. Wanted to put a decoy out, but they would have spotted me instantly. Called a few times and they gobbled back, got them to within 150 yds, but then the hens steered them off. Nice weather, enjoyable show, packed up and went fishing-brought back another nice string of bluegills , crappies, and had a 3 pound bass flip off just as I went to lip him.
So today, walked out the back yard at 7:30 in the rain and sat up where the gobblers were yesterday, and spotted them 100 yds in back of where I was set up yesterday. Was able to sneak around the crest of the hill and get a nice set up against the round bales on the other side of yesterday. I set a decoy up 30 yds in back of me where it would be easily spotted. The birds were on property I don't have permission to hunt, so I needed to call them over the property line. I yelped a few times and 2 red heads popped up on the horizon--and just laid the call down. There were 2 big longbeards and 3 hens, and figured the hens might give me trouble. They could see the decoy and slowly worked in . The gobblers put on quite a show for me at 25 yds--could have killed them both with 1 shot, and maybe a hen to boot. Finally one stepped thru the farm lane into the field, at 15 yds. Wow , 7 1/2's , are devastating at that range. 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/8" spurs, didn't weigh it, but at least 20 lbs.
Had the Lefever 16 and a Parker 16 hammer gun laid out, but because of the rain, grabbed the scoped 870, wished I'd grabbed one of the doubles.
Done for the season now, turkey for dinner tonight.
Oh, BTW, was about 50 yds off my back yard fenceline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey 2020.jpg (321.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg May 8ththumbnail.jpg (298.7 KB, 1 views)
Unread 05-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #88
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Nice bird Harold. We live vicariously through you and others who post of their success.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Season over, except...
Unread 05-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #89
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,713 Times in 878 Posts

Default Season over, except...

for taking young hunters the last week. Relative has three daughters whom he wants me to take next week. Finally got number three. A tough season. Found this bird last Friday, busted him trying to get too close. Set up on him on Saturday not getting too close. Came to 75 yards in strut. Took a long hard look, probably at decoy in woods, went on. On Monday got to within 50 yards on the roost. Flew down the other way and two hours later he skirted me gobbling as he went by. Tuesday went on an evening hunt, busted a bird at 6 pm already roosted, called two others in that I spooked as they came in behind me about 7:30. Don't know which was the gobbler. Wednesday let him rest. Thursday slept late and went out after him in a 20 mph wind, and at 12 I got him to gobble every time I called. Passed on a 50 yard shot even though I had the artillery to do it. But finally at 35 yards feeding and gobbling number three for the season is in the bag. Started with a Parker Trojan, then jinxed went to a Franchi 912 that missed, to the Beretta Xtrema that scored, to an A5 20 mag that did not get a shot, to a Beretta 686 20 gauge that scored, and finally with a difficult bird to get into range on a windy day the Xtrema with TSS #9s at 1:20 p.m. Enjoyed the fellow members' successes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (506.9 KB, 2 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 05-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #90
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Good one Jerry! What a season you’ve had!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: