Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #81
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,113 Times in 676 Posts

It is up to each and every one of us to do what we can to keep the future bright - for the shooting sports and, closer to home, the PGCA.

Yep, start them on something as mundane as an 1100 and take what opportunities you get to plant the seeds that will be tomorrows harvest. Most of us will be long gone when that harvest is ripe but one thing for sure, without planting the seeds today there will be no harvest tomorrow.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #82
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Local BSA camp today. A few advanced shot gunners shooting a Parker 20ga. We do this most spring weekends.

Most camps have a spring shooting program that this can be done in for those interested in teaching and working with youth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naish.JPG (128.9 KB, 2 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #83
Carl Erickson Jr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very interesting thread!. My suggestions:
Get qualified as an instructor or coach and then work with local scouts or similar organizations to give youth an introduction to firearms. Sitting around and complaining about the lack of youth in our shooting sports does nothing. Does your club have a junior program?
Get your club to put a priority on junior shooting as opposed to member shooting. If only the members shoot then our shooting sports will disappear due to lack of new blood
Have youth (anyone under 40) join us at shoots. When the average age is 63 "youth" is 40 and under. The goal should be safe fun shooting. Encourage younger family members to attend sxs shoots. The best time that my son ever had shooting was at an after Christmas collector shoot. They do not need a $2000 gun. A well used safe Trojan or Field grade is more than adequate. Encourage them to bring their friends. One of the best time that I have had shooting was at a shoot with my son and some of his friends (aged 25-30). I had to loan shooters to the crew but we all had a blast. While I don't think that any of them will be buying a collector grade sxs soon I can easily see them with a lower grade classic gun.
Carl Erickson Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carl Erickson Jr For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #84
Kerilynn Viccione
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll give my 2 cents (which is probably an inflated value) to this interesting topic. Maybe a bit of a different perspective -

I am a teacher of elementary school and the mother of 2 teenage boys. I find that children are easily interested in things we show enthusiasm for on their level. I love history, and as such, I teach history to my students with the same love and appreciation that I feel. I have rarely had a student that doesn't embrace this sentiment.

Antique firearms, whether of little value or invaluable are not a separate category of our history. To hold an heirloom, relic, or artifact connects us to our past. To understand what our ancestors used them for gives us insight to ourselves. Survival, freedom, sport- this is our identity as a culture.

Children identify with the past when they can make personal connections. Unfortunately, all firearms have been grouped together in a negative light as of late.
I believe we should speak about these treasures with the reverence we hold for them in a context that commands respect- one that includes identifying who we are today tied to the history of our ancestors -how they lived, what they ate, what tools they used, how they protected their families...it all connects to these guns. Each is unique in its historical value, even if only for the story it tells.

Kerilynn
Kerilynn Viccione is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:44 AM   #85
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,921 Times in 12,560 Posts

Very well said Kerilynn. Thanks for putting into words what a lot of us feel and believe.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #86
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Ms. Viccione:
Your thoughts and insights are not puffery. They are pure wisdom! And exceedingly valuable.

Parker guns as well as other doubles are tangible, shootable and teachable connections to the past and its connection to our world today. They carry a story of America. And the world.

This is engaging to the young mind. And why I've advocated the low-to-no emphasis on scores and competition. The human value and historic relevance of the double gun is what should be transferred to the young.

But you know all that. And more. Thank you for your learned insights on this topic. Bravo!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post: