Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #71
Lee St.Clair
Forum Associate

Member Info

well...this thread is all over the place.
so....I thought I had a pretty good appreciation for our troops....from all wars and conflicts. I had the excellent oppurtunity to spend the evening last night with an extrordinary young man of 19. He just got back fron Iraq. His dad is retired from Navy. His brother is in the marines. He is in the army.
They were doing a sweep of homes over there and came across a mother and child huddled together. The child was 8. They were hiding AK 47's. The 8 year old grabbed one and pumped 5 rounds into this young mans chest. Unbelievable. Broke the plate in the vest but did not pierce it. Is tough for me to even write what he had to do to survive. At 19 years old. \
Prayer works. Please pray for our guys over there. Thank you.
Lee St.Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lee St.Clair For Your Post:
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #72
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

What a tough position to be in. Survival is a primal instinct and thankfully it takes over without thought. When it's you or them age, sex doesn't matter. I'm sure his family is glad to have him home all in one piece.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
"Gunny" Hathcock did that indeed
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #73
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "Gunny" Hathcock did that indeed

A "Boot brown Bar" 2nd. Looie sent the column out on a unsecured road, the gooks had planted a delayed mine, the lead vehicle took the hit and Carlos pulled out and saved the lives of three Marines, suffered major burns himself, and was nominated for the Navy Cross- He told Captain Jim Land that they should receive the medal instead of him- three years to recuperate- In 1976 Gunny Carlos Norman Hathcock was selected to be the NCOIC of the newly designated USMC Scout/Sniper School in Quantico. The USMC, like the other branches of our Military, has its legends and heroes galore- Gunny "Long Tran" Stands alone- "There have been many other Expert Rifleman, many became Scout/Snipers, but there is only ONE Gy/Sgt. Carlos N. Hathcock"

Last edited by Francis Morin; 08-16-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #74
Mike
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow I'll sure be glad when this heat is over. It seems to always make people cranky and a little mad. It's like cabin fever without the snow and cold but with lots of sweat and mosquitos.

Mike
Mike Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
"Cranky" as in crankshafts perhaps?
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #75
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "Cranky" as in crankshafts perhaps?

Mike, IMO- one of the many great things about our PGCA Forum- we have many contributors who know so many things more than our beloved Old Reliables- Now a specific thread you might start- let's say on Parker ejectors, we should stay close to that topic, add what info and experience we can offer, and maybe not get into the weather or whether Brett or not will remain a Purple People eater this Fall-he will at 16.5 mil I just heard-man could afford a matched pair of BHE 28 gauges with that!

But when a member like Charlie starts his thread with an open question or two, say commodity prices- well then, the doors are opened a bit wider, and who can predict where the discussion will lead. I learned a lot from Messers Suponski, Romig and Murphy about performance cars, engines, race tracks out East- and as my late Granddad taught me to try to learn something new each and every day of my life, I am grateful for that info- But you are right about the hot and muggy weather-but cheer up- Fall is just around the corner-

Last edited by Francis Morin; 08-18-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #76
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,939 Times in 4,787 Posts

Yup, very seldom can a PGCA thread on the price of a bag of wheat can go eight pages.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #77
Mike
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Francis! This is a good thread to read. It's helps in many ways to place personalities with people. White Feather was a hero in every sense. I've often wished I'd bought one of his autographed books. It's funny but my Dad never told me to never volunteer for anything until after I already had volunteered.;-))
My dream car is a '67 Camaro.

Mike
Mike Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Wilkerson For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #78
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,383 Times in 12,415 Posts

Mike, which do you prefer, the Z-28 the SS or the Rally?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #79
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
As far as Mopars are concerned, I beat out a few Hemi GTX's but I attribute that to driving (racing) skill rather than a fictitious superiority of a 389 over a 426

Dean, I know exactly what you mean... There were many a night the VW Bus decisively trounced 427 Vettes, LS-6 Chevelles, 454 Suburbans, and Holley aspirated 460 Ford Country Squire wagons, which like yourself, I also attribute to above average driving (racing) skills...

CSL
Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #80
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

70 1/2 Camaro 427 4 speed, my dream car. Don't care what it says on front fender. Jest so its got a spoiler package. ch My fun night un caped my headers and went to town bet a vett and out ran the hypo. 76 RS ran good 4 a 1976 era, musle was about gone by then.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote