Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #61
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,736 Times in 3,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
thats some good shooting ther with that old ten... i ve never shot a round of skeet in my life thers no body around my parts that into shooting much...i ve shot my fair share of dr pepper cans though and paper targets...but i do believe i would enjoy skeet and trap shooting.... charlie
When I piggie hunted in southeast Arkansas in 2012 those guys in AR and the ones from Greenville MS all said the same thing , no skeet or trap clubs around there !

I suspect there are atleast some Sporting Clays Ranges close by that they're not aware of but I honestly don't know !
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #62
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We used to have what they call 50/50 shoots between the area gunclubs for fun in the winter time . They were two rounds of skeet and two rounds of trap most folks used two different guns . At that time I shot both competitively and used seperate barrels on my old Krieghoff K-32 .

If I were still going to those shoots now I would most likely carry that W&C especially if it were a SxS shoot or if you were only allowed a single gun for both !

We have awobble motor on one of the trap machines . It's kinda fun to shoot Jap Wobble Trap also !
For that one you use the wobble trap in the trap house and shoot from the skeet stations . The killer of the game is you cannot leave a station until you break a bird . So technically you could burn up your whole 25 shells on station one !

Best I've ever done at that was 19 stations before I was out of shells, so I missed 6 times in that round .

If you spend alot of time around gunclubs you eventually see the uhm "difference of opinion" between skeet guys and trap guys !

Kinda like duck hunters versus quail/grouse hunters .

I shot both shotgun games ALOT and always figured if I could see the target I could break the target . When we got to doing Jap Wobble Trap some of the skeet guys would get all pissy as well as some of the trap guys . It was always fun to go out and shoot with those guys and add a little wager into the equation . I typically shot a SxS or a field grade O/U and generally I took their money !
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #63
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I am planning on going to the range wednesday and if the forend comes back for my LC Smith 10 gauge I'll cart that one out to try the new firing pin and some more buckshot patterns at 25 yards . Have 3 loaded with 12 pellets of 00 Buck , 2 loaded with 16 pellets of #1 Buck and 2 loaded with 32 pellets of #4 Buck .

I also am going to take my Philly Fox Sterlingworth 12 guage and try some old Remington 2 3/4" Foster slugs at 25 and 50 yards .
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #64
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

sounds like you mean business with them buckshot loads...i think you will be impressed by the no 4 buck it usally patterns pretty tight with a gun with some choke... i ve not got to try the lc smith yet ive been trying to get some grass and bushes knocked down.. not to many of us into buckshot i wonder if bill ever tryed out that parker shotgun that was bored for buckshot..bill what kinda choke you reckon your guns got... charlie
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #65
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
sounds like you mean business with them buckshot loads...i think you will be impressed by the no 4 buck it usally patterns pretty tight with a gun with some choke... i ve not got to try the lc smith yet ive been trying to get some grass and bushes knocked down.. not to many of us into buckshot .
I actually already tried the #4 Buck in the W&C Scott as well as my Ithaca NID . And they did well enough for 25-30 yards or so I thought .

I meant to get the bush hog on the back of my John Deere last month and like the last several years it's almost september before I get around to it !

I have maybe 2 miles of trails on my 67 acres to open before archery season . Thankfully I have the one hang on already up as well as two ladder stands so all I need to do is hang three climbers and I'm done !

I always keep an extra climber on my ATV in case I wanna try a new spot quickly . Also use that one on the Blackwater NWR in Maryland two times a year .
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #66
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have a 25 pound bag of Remington 000 Buck my old deceased shooting buddy gave me about two years ago . Someone had given it to him to make birdshot out of and he thought that would be a waste and gave it to me . I am thinking 8 of those inside the Remington SP-10 wad might be alright !
Two per layer of four layers .
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #67
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

the triple 000 works good but i think it will only stack 3 to the layer.. as i was disking today i seen several deer beds they will have to sleep some where else tonight... i ve got to clean my trails out too i wanted to put up a coupla moreshooting houses but i m running out time and energy...i had a lot of things i was going to do this summer but summers about gone and a few of them things aint gonna get done... charlie
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #68
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
the triple 000 works good but i think it will only stack 3 to the layer.. as i was disking today i seen several deer beds they will have to sleep some where else tonight... i ve got to clean my trails out too i wanted to put up a coupla moreshooting houses but i m running out time and energy...i had a lot of things i was going to do this summer but summers about gone and a few of them things aint gonna get done... charlie
Well I didn't get the forend back yesterday so the LC stayed home !

I did however shoot my relatively new to me Philly Sterlingworth 12 gauge with some older Remington 2 3/4" slug loads at 25 and 50 yards !

First shot from the right barrel at 25 yards drilled the silver dollar sized bullseye then the left barrel hit about 4 inches to the right of the first shot . Tried them at 50 yards after that and failed to hit the 9x11 inch piece of paper with either barrel .

So much for the slug idea in that old Sterlingworth !
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #69
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i dont have a gun that will shoot a slug very good either.. my old 8 ga parker is not very accurate with a round ball load i do pretty good to 30ds but any farther its a gamble.. i ve got to get my work caught up and do a little target practice with the ole 8 i sure would like to take a deer with the pumpkin ball load.. i hope my old smith longe range shoots buckshot ok i will try it soon... charlie
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #70
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Got the forend back today !

My friend that does stockwork did an excellent job to my eye !

I though the new firing pin had been heat treated but that'll get done tommorrow . My gunsmith buddy said he'll do the firing pin while he's blueing tommorrow !

Perhaps I can get out early thursday morning and try the buckshot loads . Might load some 000 wednesday just in case !