Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 01-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #61
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,467 Posts

Speaking of predation.... This just in from the SD game commission.

GFP Commission Amends Nest Predator Bounty Program Dates for 2021-2022

PIERRE, S.D. - At their January meeting, the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission amended a resolution to the Nest Predator Bounty Program for this year and next. The resolution indicates that the 2021 program will include a payment of $10/predator and a cap of $500,000. The amendment specifically modifies the dates of when the program will start and end in which the GFP Commission unanimously agreed to run the program from March 15 through July 1.

“The primary goal of the program is to enhance nest success for pheasants and ducks at localized levels by removing primary nest predators, like raccoons, striped skunks, opossums, red fox and badgers from the landscape,” said interim department secretary Kevin Robling. “Furthermore, this program is designed to increase youth and family participation in understanding and experiencing the tradition of trapping while enhancing our strong outdoor heritage.”

Last year, 16 percent of participants were 17 years-old or younger. These families and youth participating in the program made lasting memories while making a difference for managing wildlife in South Dakota. To encourage even greater participation in 2021, GFP will provide a weekly giveaway for all youth (17 years-old and younger) that participate in the program. The giveaway will consist of a GFP-sponsored trapping package that includes three live traps, knife, and the National Trappers Association Trapping Handbook.

“Each year, approximately 75 percent of duck and pheasant nests have been lost to predation in South Dakota. Intensive and ongoing predator removal efforts on lands containing quality habitat are important for increasing nest success at a localized level and present an excellent opportunity for an outdoor experience the entire family can enjoy,” stated GFP Commissioner Bob Whitmyre.

GFP will also enhance the ETHICS SD program to reach new audiences across South Dakota. ETHICS SD is a partnership between trapping organizations, GFP and 4H where youth learn trapping skills, fur handling techniques, and elements of wildlife management. The program has doubled in size reaching 110 new students in 11 counties in 2020.

“The key to ensuring our outdoor trapping traditions remain strong for future generations is educating and encouraging youth to participate in wildlife management,” said Robling. “We are excited to hear about the lasting memories these families make as they take to the field.”

The GFP Commission is allowing public comment on the amended program changes for the next 30 days and will vote on it at their March 4-5, 2021, meeting. To hear the discussion on this proposal, audio is available through South Dakota Public Broadcasting and on the GFP website under the meeting archive. Individuals can comment on this proposal by visiting gfp.sd.gov/forms/positions. Comments can also be mailed to 523 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre, SD 57501. To be included in the public record and to be considered by the Commission, comments must include a full name and city of residence and meet the submission deadline of 72 hours before the public hearing (not including the day of the public hearing).

Individuals are encouraged to share their trapping and outdoor memories by using #SDintheField on social media.

GFP has operated the Nest Predator Bounty Program for the past two years (2019 and 2020) with different program details/parameters (i.e. amount paid per predator, duration of program, license requirements, etc.) each year. For more details, visit https://gfp.sd.gov/bounty-program/.

HUNT

FISH

CAMP

STATE PARKS

FOLLOW US

FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTube
Questions? Contact us today wildinfo@state.sd.us

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

i
Unread 01-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #62
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Racoons are a big problem. We are overrun with them primarily because nobody is trapping and coon dog guys are fewer. It is tough to stimulate interest when fur prices are so low. Most fur buyers will not even buy a coon unless it is a spectacular example. A recent fur auction had coons average $1.83.

This past summer my sister in law was working in the garage with the door open. A coon entered and attacked her inflicting wounds to her lower leg before she managed to hit it on the head with a hammer. Tested positive for rabies and she had to get the shot routine along with stitches. The results of runaway wildlife populations.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #63
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,015 Times in 1,449 Posts

Just some information concerning scavengers not eating Coyotes. I am guessing that it probably depends what part of the country you live in. My experience here in AZ is they are eaten just as readily as a deer or rabbit.
I spoke to my brother this evening as he traps Coyotes for a number of ranchers. I asked what his experience was as far as coyote carcass’s. It is not unusual for him to catch 5 or 6 in a week. He stated that most Coyotes are reduced to bones in 2 days.
He added you would think that nothing would eat a skunk but they are cleaned up just a quickly. He added that ravens seem to particularly like Coyotes.
I am guessing that here in AZ we don’t have the abundance of deer that other states have and so our scavengers take what is available...
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #64
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

New snow last night and a new set of coyote tracks close to the house. Rifle and shells are at the ready by the door. If he shows himself and gives me 30 seconds to get outside he is in trouble.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 08:03 PM   #65
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,797 Times in 3,968 Posts

phil maybe we need to trade you a few buzzards for some of them ravens...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #66
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,899 Times in 2,379 Posts

Protect your game from thes Murderers.jpg

Pests.jpg

Shoot Pests!.jpg

Not the ads we see today.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2021, 09:02 AM   #67
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
When I was a Kid, some of our county's Had a Bounty on Fox !
$5 or A Case of BEER !Crows & Hawks were open season all year Long.
You could Hunt Pheasants the first 2 days without a Dog and there was
a Pheasant or Rabbit under every bush. Well Almost every Bush !

Harry
Harry Gietler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #68
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

My contribution to good coyote:

This one was crossing the dam on our lake. Amazing what a .270 with the right bullet can do at 110 yards.

We have way too many here in Southernmost IL. Our fur never gets good so no one really wants to spend the time trapping. Its basically shoot on site and yea, we use electronic callers.

They destroy deer populations and yes, they will kill adult deer, eat your small dogs and cats and can be a bit aggressive to humans and will kill larger dogs if in a pack of three or more.

Blew one off one of my setters several years ago. Dog came running back to me whining but did not see me and past me. Yote was about 15 yards behind dog. Yote met with a load of 8's to the head at 5 yards.

Done deal.
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Hering For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #69
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The Michigan bounty on red fox was $5 for a male, $15 for a female. Bounty was ended in 1963. The pheasant population plummeted from there on.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #70
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

The deer coyote / interactions on the property I hunt is a mystery to me. I know the coyotes take fawns and probably adult deer, although I have never seen evidence of this on the property. Very often you can hear a coyote or two howling and yipping just after dark. But somehow the deer don’t seem to mind.

The property has many large fields, some of which have been planted with Timothy and some I plant in sorghum annually. Deer are out feeding in the Timothy and sorghum fields almost every night without fail and without regard to the coyotes.

The deer carcasses I leave in the woods after I bone them out are invariably gone the next day. Fresh snow reveals many coyote tracks. There is a healthy population of them using the property, yet the deer seem to co-exist without much concern. I would think the deer would be somewhat wary of feeding in open fields yet they are always there. I don’t know how to explain it.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote