Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #61
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

If he was straight as an arrow he'd have given Eric back his $750 buyers premium. That's the amount of money we're talking about. Should be a drop in the bucket to a person like our Mr. Julia. He must really be hurting for cash, if he's let this all go this far......

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #62
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,948 Times in 4,792 Posts

Amarillo Mike has one of the most pertinent points on this thread, except that he is not up to date on perfectly acceptable wall thickness gauges. You can have a Manson gauge from Brownells for about half what Mike states. By the time most collectors amass a half million dollar shotgun collection, they have had a hundred dollar Manson gauge for many years. Just my inner soft spot talking.
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #63
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Bill,

Did you read what I had to say? When you buy from somebody like Julia, there shouldn't be mistakes like this. If you buy a gun from them and ask for wall thickness what they tell you should be the gospel. Do you disagree?

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #64
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Bill, I have a wall thickness gauge now, bought it in June of that year (end of March was the auction) that's how I found out about the problem. Like Destry say's I believed them, my mistake, now I have the gauge, just a little late....
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #65
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Destry, sorry, these guys have no idea what they are selling and don't want to know. You have to be the inspector. A good time to do that is the day you open the box. This is no disrespect to the auction houses to say that they have no idea what they are sell, but "They have no idea what they are selling."
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #66
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
I do know one person that put a gun up there with a reserve and the reserve was not met; AND he didn't get his gun back as expected. It seems they can simply give you the reserve as payment (less the seller's premium) and they keep the gun.
--------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
AND he subsequently called and made a fuss and had a half-hour discussion with the representative about his displeasure with their way of doing business... AND he was told in the course of this discussion that on the reverse side of the contract he should have been informed of paragraph D but wasn't... AND he never received his catalog for this March 2012 auction...
-------------------------------

With reference to the above statements, it would be interesting to know what actually took place with the gun Robin and Dean have mentioned here... And, if they "simply give you the reserve as payment (less the seller's premium) and they keep the gun.",,,, does the gun then become the company-owned property of James D. Julia, which he can then sell privately or run through another auction at a later date?... Is this a common occurrence?...

CSL
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #67
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,416 Times in 12,423 Posts

PM sent Chris.
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #68
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
"They have no idea what they are selling."
Murphy,

I think you are correct but the perception is that Julia's is one of the premier gun auctions in this country if not the world! Buying a Parker from Julia's would be as if I were buying it from you. If you told me that the gun has MBWT of .0xx" I'd expect it to be true based on your reputation as a Parker expert. Please accept this as a compliment to your Parker expertise.

There are of course other persons and companies that I would not trust to provide accurate information. Nor would I ever lower myself to buy anything from them. Why should I contribute to their vacations?

This thread is enlightening because at least three respected members of our Parker community have questioned the business dealings of this auction house based on their negative experiances. Although legally the auction house did nothing wrong, my perception of this business entity has been lowered substantially.

I have reached the point in my gun collecting that I am ready to accumulate 5-figure firearms. Three seperate strikes against persons whom I respect indicates that I should look elsewhere.

Perhaps an in-depth investigative artical on "Understanding Gun Auctions" is called for.

"non melior amicus, non nequior hostis"

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #69
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,221 Times in 3,273 Posts

so - here as in all cases (and sadly it seems all businesses)

Caveat emptor

in the end - its your money, spend wisely
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #70
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yup, Rich. Good dealers sell bad guns and bad dealers sell good guns. You are the inspector. I will deal with almost anyone who occasionally has a good gun.
Closed Thread