Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #61
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

I was drafted not once, not twice but three times. I was the last group from Michigan to get called. The numbers went to 90 and mine was 87.

The first time Uncle called I was in college. I had taken a summer course so when the regular semester rolled around I didn't have enough credits so I took an Archery class. I was drafted as soon as class was over and left for Basic Training 12/26. I shot well and was again drafted into Special Forces, needless to say this youngster was ,.

Looking back on it I think the "draft" should be reinstated as a lot of our youth is rather misguided.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #62
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,921 Times in 12,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Anderson View Post
Looking back on it I think the "draft" should be reinstated as a lot of our youth is rather misguided.

I couldn't agree more!! And "misguided" is much too kind. So many of them have no direction at all and couldn't care less.

Not to paint with a broad brush.... There are a lot of kids who make us very proud who know exactly where they're going in life.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #63
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

THANKS servicemen for your duty. You all done good. Wish people in this country had a clue. Seen a picture of the president with some commanders in dress uniforms they were all saluting his hands were hanging together seems like he should of had his hand on heart or saluting but I don't know the sercumstances. But it seems he's disreceptable to our flag and country. Lot of things make me sad anymore. ch The kids are misguided parents stoped telling there kids to quit acting like an idiot so they never stopped and now it seems theres a lot of idiots. thank God my Dad helped me told me right from wrong. And I'M far from perfect but at least i no right from wrong.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calvin humburg For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #64
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I loved that car Jack! What a muscle car! I should have died in that car several times.... the stories I could tell
Do tell !!

Most GTO fans will know the Italian language vocabulary behind GTO but rumour has it that the design team had to come up with that version because the real version was thought to possibly be slightly over the top for the competition, as well as Sunday school teachers. As I recall, possibly in a dream but who knows, DeLorean, Gee, Wangers and Collins had put in an all nighter one Saturday, when they should have been home tending to the BBQs. On Sunday, old Alfred P. Sloan happened to wander in, which was unusual given his age but he still loved the company. He happened upon the team who, by then, were fatigued. Drawings were all over the place and Sloan picked up one and said "Who's idea is this?? Amazing! ". One by one, the team peered through bleary eyes and not one of them could recall the drawing. Finally, DeLorean spoke up and said "Don't know Alfred, I guess God Took Over. And so, it is rumored, was born the acronym GTO, which the legal department quckly determined had to be re-worked to Gran Turismo Omologato. Now come on, who can say that and why is legal so intent on getting God out of everything anyway? I have been a long time Mopar fan but have a soft spot for the somewhat heavenly early GTOs.

Cheers,,
Jack
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #65
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,168 Times in 4,895 Posts

John Dallas, those of us who "volunteered" by throwing ourselves on the grenade still maintained our US serial number prefix if we did not foolishly sign up for the third year before we had served a day of our obligatory two years. The only difference between a two year US and a three year RA was that we two year guys didn't get to choose our MOS. I remember being in a unit at Fort Lee, Virginia where returning Vietnam veterans were cursing the final year they had to serve stateside just because they were scared into the third year by being told they would die if they didn't sign the papers.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #66
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,921 Times in 12,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
God Took Over.

I guess that's what happened all those times I should have died in that car.

As far as Mopars are concerned, I beat out a few Hemi GTX's but I attribute that to driving (racing) skill rather than a fictitious superiority of a 389 over a 426
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #67
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,585 Posts

Bill - I got my draft notice when I started the Wharton School for my MBA. I was able to get a deferment to let me finish the first semester and enroll in an OCS program. Including a year in Korea as an ammunition depot commander, my total time in was 2 years, 7 months. (I had an RA prefix until I was commisioned)
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
A salute is then in order, Sir
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #68
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default A salute is then in order, Sir

As I was a E-6, MOS 0311 (basic rifleman) and 2112 (Armorer). I think you may well be right, John about the "Whole Nine yards" But understand, if you will, my Lt. Col. USAF 'friend" from the two weeks UMCOR TDY tour in FL a while ago was the first one in my life to ever offer a logical explanation to that oft-heard phrase.

Furthermore, not only is he an Officer and a Gentleman, he is a Southern Gentleman, and I tend to rank those as highly as I do the late Gen. "Chesty" Puller. Case in point- we had some female volunteers on the job site crews, as well as doing the cooking and laundry for the crews- A sweet Lady from Waycross, GA was up with us on a roof (in FL any roof built over a 4/12 pitch is considered "steep") we were removing damaged shingles and plywood, she slipped and caught her backside on a nail point- Bob caught her and took off his shirt to cover her "wounded area" and to also protect her modesty- We had a First Aide tent nearby so she received proper medical care (and a new set of clothes) from them, and came right back up on the roof and resumed the work--

So, if Bob had told me that Ho Chi Minh played Ma Jong with 5 Trappist Monks on Fridays- I'd believe him- He also confirmed the aviators term "The Iron Compass" for me, NOT to be confused with the Iron Triangle of course--

But as a qualified Armorer who serviced and test fired a few "Ma-Deuce's" back in my day (now they have a Modified M2 with closed bolt firing, fixed headspacing, right or left hand feed options, and Stellite liners in the barrels for the SLAP specialized rounds- and usually our Uncle goofs up, but this new version will also take the std. barrel group that requires headspacing and the aircraft group with its lighter profile-- anyway, I took the armament specs for my favorite WW11 Allied fighter plane, the P-51D Mustang- 6 .50 MG's total rd. capacity of 1880- 2 sets at 400 rds each, 4 sets at 270 rds. each (Thanks to my Jayne's ref books) at an aprox. working width of .850" x 1880 equals 133.2 ft. for all SIX feed trays (Belts is a misnomer here- the 1919-A-1 Cal. 30 MG had a cloth belt, the M-2 .50, like the fine German M34 and later M43 LMG's had a frangible metal feed link- most common came linked 100 rds. in a attachable feed ammo box--

Our USMC legend- Gunny Carlos N. Hathcock about 1968 worked up a modification of the M-2 set for single rd. firing and scoped it and took out an enemy target of opportunity at almost 2000 yds- a "one shot confirmed kill" Now we have the Barrett and other .50 cal modified sniper weapons in "The sandbox" Little did John M. Browning know in 1921 that two of all his great military weapons he designed for the US would endure yet today- the 1911-A-1 .45 ACP pistol and the "Ma-Deuce" in all its useful variants.

Thank you for your service to Our Country in Korea, Lt. Dallas!!

Last edited by Francis Morin; 08-13-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 08-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #69
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Francis: Carlos Hathcock aka "White Feather" is also one of my true heroes. He also took out an expert enemy sniper at a somewhat shorter distance with a well placed round through the enemy' scope. Most of the grunts from there, be they Marine or Army, would tell you how much they counted on their .50 and would give their left testicle to get one if they didn't have one. 90 years later it is still a prized weapon today over in the "sandbox".

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lander For Your Post:
Unread 08-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #70
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes a hero Carlos pulled some fellows out of an burning a c p if I remember right. He saved a lot of lives a true honor to save somebody ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calvin humburg For Your Post: