Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-11-2022, 06:54 PM   #51
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

I competed in a Bulls Eye Pistol league for 14 years. The only thing I used for all cleaning and lubrication on my semi auto pistols was G96. I have been using G96 since 1969 and no issues. It doesn't get pasty in extreme cold. Cleans, lubricates and prevents rust.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2022, 10:48 PM   #52
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I like to wipe especially damascus bbls down with Ballistol. For solvent I use Hoppes or Gunzilla. For internal parts I use 5W-20 Mobil-1. I was on the AR forum some years back and some new AR owner asked what oil to use on his AR. That forum is full of very experienced military guys and, to a man, they all just said, "Mobil-1", with no further explanation. I like to put Chevron wheel bearing grease on the roll pin and the locking lug wear plate; it's very 'sticky' and doesn't run off.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2022, 12:53 AM   #53
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,551 Times in 12,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I like to wipe especially damascus bbls down with Ballistol. For solvent I use Hoppes or Gunzilla. For internal parts I use 5W-20 Mobil-1. I was on the AR forum some years back and some new AR owner asked what oil to use on his AR. That forum is full of very experienced military guys and, to a man, they all just said, "Mobil-1", with no further explanation. I like to put Chevron wheel bearing grease on the roll pin and the locking lug wear plate; it's very 'sticky' and doesn't run off.
I use Ballistol in most of these applications and the other products Richard employs except that on the roll joint and other friction surfaces I use Rig. Too bad we don’t have sperm whale oin any longer.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #54
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,567 Posts

Let's try this another way. Seems like everything works. Is there a product that doesn't work?

New question. Is today's Hoppe's #9 the same as the old stuff? I don't think it has the same smell I remember, but then again, I can't remember what I had for breakfast
Unread 10-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #55
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

In my book, Ballistol and WD-40 do not work well for some uses. Both will dry and "varnish" up. I've had WD-40 glue the cables up in my plane so bad I had to replace them. I don't use WD-40 for anything any longer. Ballistol, brilliant as it is, also varnishes up so is really good for hosing down the inside of the receiver on a dbl gun that just came out of the sonic cleaner because it will last forever if you let it drip dry. Open the gun 5yrs down the road and it will be exactly as you left it, with no corrosion. I just don't use it on the moving internal parts. I used to finish off every bore cleaning with a coating of it, but, at one point I was shooting an Ithaca 37 I had done that to and after a few shots I couldn't pump the action and had to use more force than was good for the gun to eject the empty. Turned out that the varnished up Ballistol had softened in the heat and had glued the empty shell in the chamber. Took a brush to it and cleaned it out and it was fine. I had it do the same thing to more than on S/S before I figured the problem out. I love the way it protects a bore in long term storage - there's nothing better; you just have to brush it out of the chamber before you shoot the gun again.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 10-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #56
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,965 Times in 3,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Let's try this another way. Seems like everything works. Is there a product that doesn't work?

New question. Is today's Hoppe's #9 the same as the old stuff? I don't think it has the same smell I remember, but then again, I can't remember what I had for breakfast
John, I assume you know that there are two #9 formulas available -- synthetic (I think that's what they call it) and original. I'm not sure if the original is really original, but it smells like it, and seems to act like I remember it did...but, hey, I'm old.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2022, 06:07 PM   #57
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Since 1970 I have not seen G96 "varnish" up. It does NOT dry or turn gummy in extreme cold. G96 is the only product I use everywhere in every gun that I own. I have put thousands of rounds through my 1911, Springfield XD and my Pardini. I have NEVER had an functioning issue in any of my guns.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote