Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #41
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by waclifton View Post
Probably an area that I overlooked in this whole exchange is the trigger situation. When I received the gun, it has a single "release" trigger. The risk of someone picking up the gun without knowing that seemed to be a risk that I wasn't willing to take, so I sent the gun to Larry DelGrego in New York. He said that he had a set of original Parker double triggers, so I had him swap them.
------------------------------------------------------

It was mentioned earlier there was a "single "release" trigger" in this gun, but it was sent to DelGrego for a conversion back to double triggers... It should be noted the stamped "R", "S", "L" letters on the top tang above the safety suggests that at some point in this Parker's life it may have also had one of the early Miller single triggers with barrel selection controlled by the safety... I hope Wayne did not have DelGrego remove a perfectly good Miller trigger from this interesting old BHE Trap...???

Best, CSL

Unread 05-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #42
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,490 Times in 12,442 Posts

I was thinking the same thing Chris
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #43
waclifton
Forum Associate

Member Info

OK, now you've gone and confused me. (Not a hard thing to do.)

Whatever brand of trigger was in the gun, and regardless of what is etched on the safety, the trigger that was in the gun was absolutely a single "release" trigger.

I was under the impression that the trigger that was in there at the time could not be modified to act as a normal trigger, and the whole thing had to be replaced. Are you saying that wasn't the case?
waclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #44
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,702 Times in 3,152 Posts

If DelGreco gave you back the old trigger plate, can you post a picture of the underside of it?
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #45
waclifton
Forum Associate

Member Info

I didn't get it back. However, I may call him today and see, if by some miracle, he still has it. I'm not holding out much hope, but it's worth a try.
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #46
Mark Conrad
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Typical trapshooters gun. They keep changing the gun to hit more targets when the problem is the guy pointing the gun.

The gun left the factory with a vent rib, SST, trap forend, cpg. The early SST's were poor and it looks like Miller put the early trigger in with the selector in the safety. Then a release and now double triggers. Too bad the wood has been altered.

Mark
Mark Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #47
waclifton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry Mark, but I have to take exception to your unkind remark. It's like saying "don't tune the engine in your race car . . you're not winning races because you're a bad driver".

When the previous owner passed, and we cleaned his house, we had to toss at least a hundred trap-shooting trophies and awards. I remember one that said he was Pennsylvania Live Bird Shooting Champion. Many, many, said "200 out of 200". You don't get those awards by "uselessly tuning your instrument"!!
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #48
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by waclifton View Post
It's like saying "don't tune the engine in your race car . . you're not winning races because you're a bad driver".

When the previous owner passed, and we cleaned his house, we had to toss at least a hundred trap-shooting trophies and awards. I remember one that said he was Pennsylvania Live Bird Shooting Champion. Many, many, said "200 out of 200". You don't get those awards by "uselessly tuning your instrument"!!
-----------------------------------------------

Using another car analogy. For some shooters, removing a Miller single trigger from a Parker and replacing it with double triggers would be like taking the 427/435hp tri-power motor out of a 1967 Corvette and replacing it with a 283/185hp 2 barrel from 1957. In other words it would be like uselessly de-tuning your instrument, but you would get better gas mileage.... As mentioned earlier, hope it wasn't a Miller that DelGrego removed...

To some folks in the double gun world, a Miller trigger is a special option that could enhance the value and appeal of an early Parker trap gun... How long ago was it that DelGrego removed the single trigger from your BHE?.. Maybe you could ask him if he still has it or remembers what type of trigger it actually was?...

As for the many trophies and awards you mentioned, such as "Pennsylvania Live Bird Shooting Champion", it would be a damn shame if they indeed went into the trash. Some of those items may have also added greatly to the provenance and value of your Parker... What was the mans name who won all of the trophies and awards?... Perhaps we can provide you with some additional information on his past shooting history and achievements...

Best, CSL
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #49
waclifton
Forum Associate

Member Info

First of all, the man's name was William J. Wise (Bill).

Please keep in mind that we're not collectors, and we were just a family cleaning out a house to sell. The trophies and awards were memories of his, and meant much less to us. The decisions to toss were pragmatic ones, based on the thought of where to store all that stuff. Our thoughts at the time were focused on trying to sell a quarter million dollar house, and not in adding a thousand or two in future value to a gun.

And as far as "de-tuning" a car -- I should mention that I just replaced a six-cylinder in my '57 Chevy with a built 350, so you were more accurate than you knew. But I digress . .

The comment that I originally reacted to was aimed at the previous owner and how his tweaking the gun was an effort to improve what was a poor shooter. My reaction was to explain that even a concert musician occasionally tunes his/her instrument. My conversion, not Bill's, to double triggers, was simply a safety issue (in my mind), and not to improve any shooting ability (of which I have none). In my entire 50+ hunting years, I've never been known to hit anything in the air. Never.

As far as anyone remembering Bill, here is a picture of him - and My Great Aunt:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunt Thora - Bill Wise - Small_961x1200.tif.jpg (365.6 KB, 3 views)
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #50
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,019 Times in 1,431 Posts

Wayne,

Please don't take offense to what Mark Conrad said. He wasn't directing his comments to you or William Wise. What he said is something that every long time trapshooter has done. Search for that extra target. They will go to any length to get that 1 out of 1000 extra target that may win for them and that includes modifying $10k+ shotgun with every gadget known to man. Ask me how I know

For most of us (William Wise is an exception) it's a fruitless pursuit. The old adage is true. It's the Indian, not the arrow! My apologies to any Indians out there!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote