Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #31
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,293 Times in 862 Posts

Agreed Dean
and for people who do research for PP it would be a boon.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #32
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M. Purtill View Post
I don't think we have the records digitized or indexed by order number. But we should. And a scanner that can read numbers would do that?
All our stuff should be cross indexed.
So if you wanted to know every gun sold to Bishops Hardware, you could.
Sounds like a good idea. All YOU have to do is process about 160 books with say 150 pages to a book and maybe 25 or 30 entries to a page to generate the cross reference. But, don't expect any computer help, these books are hand written in classic long hand script. Its hard for a person to decipher the writing, so I would not expect any scanner to have OCR capability that could help.

Not to say it couldn't be done but it would take many, many man hours at, I suspect, a considerable expense. It could be quite an accomplishment for someone but not one I would want to sit at a computer table to attempt.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #33
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,293 Times in 862 Posts

Robin- I'll get working on it. As soon as I retire.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #34
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,941 Times in 4,789 Posts

I will volunteer to do it, as I have many times before. I'll be waiting for the call. 301-972-0740 My home is about 90 miles south of Chuck's.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #35
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,006 Times in 1,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M. Purtill View Post
I don't think we have the records digitized or indexed by order number. But we should. And a scanner that can read numbers would do that?
All our stuff should be cross indexed.
So if you wanted to know every gun sold to Bishops Hardware, you could.
Why should the order numbers be indexed? Nothing would be gained by doing so except in the case where an order number found in the old order book number 5 can also be matched up with an order number in stock book number 1 and I showed an example in my first reply on this thread. Let me emphasize this is a very rare case because most of the order numbers in stock book 1 are not there.

Some order numbers are found on the barrel flats of hammer guns. This is the same order number found on the original order in the new order books. The new order books are indexed by serial number and when viewed, it also shows the order number. Parker based everything on the serial number, not order number. Nothing would be gained by searching by the order number.

Bishop's Hardware was not assigned their own order number so that every order they placed would have the same order number.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #36
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,122 Times in 398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
?... Looking at the pages shown on the eBay auction order book there are mostly itemms such as shells, quantity, and cleaning rods, jags, etc., with only a dollar amount shown for the gun ordered, no serial number "or description of the gun at all."

Actually there is a bit of information about the gun in those notes. Most of them show the grade, gauge, and barrel length...
ie: 1 10 32 . Also, some have length of pull, drop at comb and heel and how the chokes were requested.
There is some useful info there.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Noble For Your Post:
Unread 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #37
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I get the tone of Robin's post, but his arithmetic is skewed. His reply is to a post that suggests digitizing the customer base. The customer base is 26 pages for each order book, with very few entries under Q, Z, X, and Z. It is not neccesary to record each gun, only one entry for each customer. This would be a very interesting addition to our data.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #38
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,385 Times in 12,416 Posts

I agree Bill - it would help in determining instances a gun was sent back for additional work and if a particular customer (not a retailer) had purchased other Parker guns.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #39
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Sorry Bill, I guess I didn't understand what was being digitized. I didn't know there were anything called a "customer base" in each book. I have never looked at an entire book, I have only seen an individual page from a book. I assumed the intent was to digitize the entire content of each book and then take that to build a relational database to search for whatever desired data was of interest.

Just goes to prove the adage about the first three letters of the word assume and how it might reflect on the person making an assumption.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #40
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Robin, when you open an order book, the first page will be customers whose names begin with A, whether it is zero A's or a whole page full. It goes on for 26 pages. To the right of each customer's name are the page numbers where that customer's orders appear. Not every page entry is for a gun order. Some entire order books are only repairs but still have the customer index. The digitizing of the customer pages would be done in a similar fashion that the Serialization Book was done. Customer name, order book number, page number are the only entries neccesary. Just those three entries, with no mention of a gun, would give the researcher something to use to look up that customer's purchases. If a company like Abercrombie and Fitch or Tryon has multiple purchases on a page, the page need only be listed once in the researcher's data.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: