Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #31
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

George the gun was built for a skeet shooter from Maryland after the close of Parker. It came from existing stock hence the absence of the markings indicateing barrel steel. I don't know how the serial number of 250089 came about but IMHO it's all Parker.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #32
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,742 Times in 3,157 Posts

The stamping on the barrel flats and water table is pretty sloppy, lots of double stamps. What's with all the A and A. 1. stamps in an odd font? Show us a picture of the rib inscription. Whatever it 'originally was' it sure is pretty.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #33
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

The rib inscription is as I have posted, Parker Bros makers Meridan CT USA. No indication of barrel steel.
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #34
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,742 Times in 3,157 Posts

Rich, is the blank space in the matting only the length of the inscription, or does it remain blank for an additional length sufficient for barrel steel marking?
Wouldn't an A-1S have 2 or three ribbands behind the bolster, with the 'pig tail' termination of the border line where it comes back up on the bottom side? Do you think it was engraved by Runge? It certainly looks like legitimate engraving. What does seem odd is the gold 'Parker', ala Remington, on the bottom, as opposed to 'Parker Bros' ala Meriden.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #35
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

The blank space in the matting is only the length of the rib inscription. The Parker on the bottom is correct for the Remington era as this was done after the technical close of Parker. Your correct about the rib bands behind the bolsters but it is what it is. I don't have a loop to examine the engraveing and can't say for sure who did it.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,975 Times in 4,805 Posts

Daryl Corona and I discuss the person who built this gun on a thread in General Parker Discussions titled "Parker ID Help Needed". It was contracted in the sixties or even earlier by a Baltimore shooter named Bill Eckmeyer. I don't know who the engraver is. Mr. Eckmeyer used different people to construct his upgraded Parkers. He was quite proud of this one, carrying it almost everywhere he went in case he ran into someone he could show it to. He was a colorful character few remember. Daryl Corona, Bill Murphy, and probably Jerry Smith are the only PGCA types who remember Willie. The one who knew him best was the late Terry Boose, my neighbor and serious Parker collector. Terry's Dad knew Bill Eckmeyer before Terry became interested in Parkers. I'm not sure that Bill Eckmeyer didn't get Terry and me started on the long Parker road. Read the other thread to get a better idea about this fellow.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #37
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Bill that is strange

I only see Daryl Corona and I discuss the person who built this gun on a thread in General Parker Discussions titled

in your post but when I went to quote you and ask "what" your whole post showed, very strange but thanks for the info.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote