Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #31
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

We digress.
Just want to be clear that I had no issue with this seller.
Unread 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #32
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,671 Times in 3,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mazza View Post
I understand. But when it's my hard-earned money, I want to be able to satisfy myself that everything's OK with the gun.

When a dealer doesn't mention that it's been refinished & I can plainly see that, then I think he's either hiding the fact or is ignorant of the fact. Neither one is good...

I have had people say to me "I never said it was ..........." (Fill in the blank with whatever you want: "all original" " not refinished" "mechanically perfect", etc.) So, I will flat out ASK them these things. All they need to then do is say Yes or No. ...but I want an answer! Then, if they don't tell me the truth, they are then misrepresenting the item. If you don't ask, and/or if they don't say it in the description - it's not being misrepresented.

I don't ask idiotic questions - I ask the usual questions we all tend to ask.

I bought a drilling once that turned out to have issues: 1.) lots of pitting in bores 2.) right hammer did not hold at full cock, and a hairline crack in same hammer.

The guy's description said "very good" bores. WRONG ! He claims that he never noticed the cracked hammer. (Possible, but odd for a dealer to miss...) Worse yet, he claimed he never noticed that the hammer didn't hold at full cock. So, he bought a gun (to sell) and never even cocked the hammers ???????? I guess he never opened the gun either - maybe that's how he figured the bores were "very good."

I haven't dealt with either of these dealers since. One is too impatient/arrogant, and the other is blind & ignorant. (Again, these are bone fide dealers, not just guys posting things on Gunbroker.)

If a dealer is basically saying "Just trust me, everything's OK." Then I'm tempted to say "Fine, you trust me too. Send me the gun, and if you are telling the truth, I promise to mail you a check."

Trust me...

What constitutes a "verified dealer" ? We have an FFL and a storefront but I suppose you're telling me we aren't bonafide !

I can relate to wanting to get the most bang for my buck and have no issue with that . However some of the things a good many people ask is blatantly stupid , they could have gotten the answer they desired if they just read the listing .

If a fellow asks me a bunch of questions I generally email them and tell them to call me and I'll go over the gun from one end to the other .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #33
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

"What constitutes a "verified dealer" ? We have an FFL and a storefront but I suppose you're telling me we aren't bonafide !"

I don't know what you're trying to say... I'm saying that these two people, having websites, and dealing in selling guns for decades (the one guy - even before websites existed), are "gun dealers." This is their business ! So, by my definition, you ARE bonefide !

Now - moving on, I was trying to say that an auto mechanic who has his own shop & has had grease under his fingernails for 30 years is NOT going to buy a car with an obvious defect (and claim he didn't notice it). These guys notice things that us laymen would miss. But if you do this sort of work for years, you develop a keen knowledge & a "sixth sense" that, to a layperson, seems amazing.

Would you buy a Parker hammer gun & not cock the hammers ? No. If you did cock the hammers, would you notice if they didn't work properly ? Of course. Then, if they didn't work properly, would you note that in your description ? I would hope so.

I guess sellers have a different perspective than buyers...
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #34
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you guys want to discuss dealers and selling practices, there are boards on the forum for that. This is a gun thread.
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #35
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just talkin'...

Didn't think simple banter would become such a controversy.

OK - that's all I have.

Back to guns - That looks like a great gun. Post more pictures when you get it.

Thanks.
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #36
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,340 Posts

I can't wait to see what's in that case. Are you even able to sleep at night?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 07-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #37
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Pretty excited to see, but I have also begun reverse compensating mentally in case it's a bunch of junk! The bad part is that the gun will get here while I'm in Louisiana on a fishing trip, so I won't get to see it until next Friday!
Unread 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #38
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,340 Posts

No way that gun is a piece of junk but I do like the "Reverse Compensating Mentally" mentality. I'm going to use that if you don't mind. Not to stray to far but are you saltwater fishing?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #39
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well...got the gun in hand today. It is at least as good as pictured and described. On my scale, a svelte 5lbs 4 oz., the barrels do have a makers name. Aug. Wolf, Suhl. Don't know how the seller didn't see that! It is apparent that the gun has been shot only a very few times in its 90 year history. There is still varnish present on 100% of the action, and the primer ring impressions around the pins has not even worn through the varnish. Very thin, perfectly fitted, and very finely checkered horn butt plate. The triggers are gold plated, without any wear on the finger contact portion at all. the gun has a modest 2 1/4" DAH, with a 14 3/4" LOP to first trigger.

The case is amazing. I cannot yet get a handle on the age of it, although it appear fairly contemporary, the fact that the gun is virtually untouched, might be a clue to the case as well. And the case is inside a very heavy canvas cover with fleece lining...and the brass zipper on the cover is very heavy gauge, and old. I am not a carpenter, but will try to describe as I cannot get photos out til next week. the corners are not dovetailed, but are fine work and secured with dowels. the hinges and clasps are all heavy solid brass. the case fits the gun and accessories perfectly, including inletting for the rib extension, and inletting inside the cleaning rod box that PERFECTLY fits the heavy solid brass cleaning rod, with small jigs, and a de cocking tool in the handle of same. One compartment holds a sling that appears to have never been fitted to the gun, but the hooks also bear the engraving Aug. Wolf, so they are certainly original to the gun. there is a white silk cloth in one other box, a sterling silver oiler and a chamber brush in another. there are two sterling snap caps, with horn inserts, and a silver grease pot. there WERE two old screwdrivers in one box...that are not period with the gun and accessories...square pegs in round holes!

Thrilled with the gun and case....going to research this maker now.

thanks for the interest!
Unread 07-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #40
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Couldnt stand not to show at least a couple of "phone" phots of the case...note the timed corner brace screws, the gunsmith quality backer screws for the brass cover knobs timed also. The keychain for the case keys is a matching finished square of the same walnut as the compartment covers.