Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,416 Times in 12,423 Posts

Nope, not 'gleening' anything and I never intend to give or take offense.

That's a nice looking old Hardy Bros. muzzle loader too.

I'm in agreement with Jeff K's month-old post... that "there are a lot of nice guns out there for that $3000 price range and most of them will not have the issues that this one has". Which, in my humble opinion leaves only the "pretty" aspect of such a gun... that's all I meant but Jeff said it better and after a month, his statement is still quite valid too.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #22
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Nope, not 'gleening' anything and I never intend to give or take offense.

That's a nice looking old Hardy Bros. muzzle loader too.

I'm in agreement with Jeff K's month-old post... that "there are a lot of nice guns out there for that $3000 price range and most of them will not have the issues that this one has". Which, in my humble opinion leaves only the "pretty" aspect of such a gun... that's all I meant but Jeff said it better and after a month, his statement is still quite valid too.
I agree that nowadays $3K can buy a nice Parker and it is probably better to find one for that price and spring for it than buy a sick gun for that number. I own only two Parkers, a SBT SC which I paid $1500 for more than a decade ago and a GH that I bought last year for $900. Both guns took a little work and neither are what I'd call pristine, but still nice guns. The SBT was covered with a thin coat of bright orange rust, having been stored in a humid climate inside an old plastic case. Not healthy for the old girl.

The other didn't open or cock, but took little work to fix, just $160. Here is the SBT: (It's not a very good picture.)

Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #23
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

My GH:

This gun is totally untouched, except for some work on its guts. I'm going to keep it as is. Bores are bright and shinny. I think the gun broke in the 40's sometime and lived for a lifetime or two in a closet. It is F and F, a 12, 30 inch tubes, an 1896 gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #24
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Better Picture?

As one can see this GH is far from in outstanding condition, but as I handle the gun, which locks up like new and has light, crisp triggers and a fine bore, I think its original condition is charming. With RST shells I think she'll shoot up a storm. She has a no 2frame and is heavy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,948 Times in 4,792 Posts

The gun in question is a "no buy" at $500 until we see pictures. It is a "no buy" at $3000 or any price as long as it has pitted barrels. Sorry, it seems to be a bad gun no matter what.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
The gun in question is a "no buy" at $500 until we see pictures. It is a "no buy" at $3000 or any price as long as it has pitted barrels. Sorry, it seems to be a bad gun no matter what.
Yes, pictures would be nice.
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

On a slightly different note, while I understand that a slightly pitted bore will affect value, but does it effect shootablity/pattern? As an example I own an ancient GEW 98 WWI Mauser with a terrible ringed bore. I can see the rifling though. However the rifle shoots almost about 2 MOA...even off those rotten open sights. It is a tight bore and is so marked at the breech. The trigger while a two stage is light as a feather!

Okay, we are talking about shotguns. Does a pristine bore shoot a more even patter than a blemished one?
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

I purchased a pitted out twist barrel for 66.00 off ebay. The muzzle was damaged so a 28 inch barrel was created, with mod. chokes. I easily fit it to my 1 frame hammer gun and shoot it regularly. With the good wads it patterns great, Cleaning the barrel is a major problem. Pitts are hard to clean inside a tube. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holes View Post
I purchased a pitted out twist barrel for 66.00 off ebay. The muzzle was damaged so a 28 inch barrel was created, with mod. chokes. I easily fit it to my 1 frame hammer gun and shoot it regularly. With the good wads it patterns great, Cleaning the barrel is a major problem. Pitts are hard to clean inside a tube. Dave
Interesting; and thank you, Dave.

Tags
engraved, o frame, pitting, vh grade