Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #21
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,034 Posts

My 16 ga. 0 frame 26" Damascus AH was returned to Parker 3 times according to the PGCA letter; twice for restocking and finally for addition of a set of Titanic steel barrels. I've been trying to find them for years!
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #22
Fred Slyfield
Forum Associate

Member Info

Folks thanks for all the info, very interesting, I am in no way going to shoot anything in this gun except low pressure shells , not going to try and make a race horse out of a donkey!!
Fred Slyfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #23
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,899 Times in 2,379 Posts

Quote:
Jack O'Connor, Outdoor Life, 1942
A good many people resent being told that their much loved old guns were no longer safe. Just for the fun of it, Lou Smith (President of Ithaca Gun Co.) proofed (using 17,500 psi Proof Loads in 1942) a dozen or so damascus and twist beauties which were lying around the plant. Here's the dope: Most of the old timers busted loose with the first proof shell. The rest did with the second. Guns tried were cheap, medium priced and expensive: but all of them went. So if anyone wants to go ahead using modern smokeless stuff in a gun built for black powder, he can; but he can include me out.
Reviewing the findings Lou writes: "These birds who persist in using smokeless powder in twist and damascus barrels remind me of the guy who made a living by sticking his head in the lion's mouth at the circus. He got away with it for a long time; then one day he didn't!"
I guess those old Twist and Damascus barrels grew stronger with age. Certainly took Sherman Bell a lot more to blow them up!!
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,402 Times in 12,421 Posts

I guess Lou Smith took a calculated risk and reported Ithaca's (faulty) "findings" or just made up the whole story...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,260 Posts

A summary of Bell/Armbrust's attempt to blow up vintage pattern welded barrels using Remington Proof Loads of 18,560 psi is at the bottom here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hIiY62Hx4/edit
A total 28 vintage doubles/54 Twist and Damascus barrels + 2 Vulcan (Fluid) Steel were remarkably difficult to destroy.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 08-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #26
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Lou Smith of Ithaca, "take it face value what I am saying, trust me. These guns blew up and are unsafe." If he lied that would have been a whopper. I think they blew up the guns or barrels. However is there any mention of how tests were conducted. It is pretty much stated that guns don't blow up unless there is an obstruction. Did they put obstructions in barrels with 18k psi loads and just fail to mention we plugged the up the barrels. Heck any gun could blow up if you plug the barrel.

Reading Dr. Drews stuff it appears even as late as 2016 NRA was saying don't shoot damascus or twist. It is hard to believe what it is true with so much conflicting information. But if mind justifies the heart to shoot welded barrels then the guidelines I guess have already been discussed. Measure barrels, use low pressure loads only and look for any subtle changes and nothing is to small. I think it is understood check barrels for obstructions but how often does one really do it.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #27
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
I guess those old Twist and Damascus barrels grew stronger with age. Certainly took Sherman Bell a lot more to blow them up!!
Fluid steel propaganda.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

It is a wise practice to check for barrel obstructions before dropping shells into the chambers of any shotgun - even fluid steel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #29
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,439 Times in 689 Posts

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;251310]It is a wise practice to check for barrel obstructions before dropping shells into the chambers of any shotgun - even fluid steel.

=============================

Dean: I agree it is wise, and when using a double or break-action single-barreled gun, it is reasonably convenient or at least feasible.

However, if the gun is a semi-auto or pump, would you not agree that checking for obstructions every time one reloads is beyond inconvenient to the point of being impractical?

Or, is there an easy way to check the barrel of such a gun (semi-auto or pump) every time one reloads that I am not aware of?

Seems to me this makes a case for there being greater safety, in this one respect anyway, for using these quaint, passe doubles that we have such an affinity for.
Unread 08-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #30
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

You're right Russ - it is highly impractical... and to be honest I didn't even consider semi-autos or pumps as I own just two pumps.

I never even take the Stevens 20 from the safe anymore and I've yet to shoot my 42... that will happen this fall in VT.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: