Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #21
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Sorry to get a bit off track Bill. The checkering on your gun appears to be competently done. The mullered border is missing but you can probably live with that. If you can't, I can cut them in for you gratis.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #22
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Tom Elanor O' Conner favored her 7X57 for most of her hunting and took many North American as well as African animals with it.
Unread 09-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #23
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Yes, you are right. Thanks for jogging my old brain. She did use a 7X57, not a .257 Roberts. However, Jack sung the praises of the .257 Roberts. I always wanted to own one but never found one in pre 64 Model 70 Winchester. That all I owned. On another subject, I will be living in Pawling after Oct. 1st. Then I will be able to unpack everything and will send you a few boxes of vintage Eley 2" #6's for your Purdey. They are great looking shells with the orange paper case and rolled crimps. After sending yours, I'll still have plenty left in the 20 box case. Those shells were bought for a Purdey and some should be shot with a Purdey. I won't shoot mine. They are a keepsake from a great man.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #24
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I recently sold two Pre64 M70's in 257 Roberts along with a bunch of others. My current Bob is custom built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action. I like the oldies but goodies when it comes to rifle cartridges like a 250/3000, 300 Savage the 7X57 the Roberts and the 300 H&H is hard to beat.

Thanks again for the shells, I'm looking forward to introducing them to some pheasants.
Unread 09-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #25
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,364 Times in 4,429 Posts

The 12 gauge anecdote is a funny story, but there is a hidden lesson there. I shoot 16, 20 and 28 gauges for quail partly because they are not guaranteed to kill anything they hit. Quail hunting, in particular, is dangerous and accidents happen to the most experienced of hunters. I know a few people who are alive today because their quail hunting partners were shooting a small bore. Small bores just feel right for upland hunting anyway
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #26
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Btw what gauge was Dick Cheney shooting.

I have and hope never to be part of hunting accident like that. I know you read about it all the time though and don't think something like that could happen to you. I guess that is like not worrying about getting struck by lightening or getting snake bit and not taking precautions. No one ever thinks it could happen to them until it does. Man you can't hear or be reminded of a safety discussion enough or its protocols. When upland hunting since lefty I was always take right side of points and make sure the right handed shooter takes left. Standard rule is if a bird comes back at us and between us or down the middle, that bird has solved the riddle and we let it go and don't think twice. Too risky and not worth it, plus all the other points we have heard.

Frustration is chasing grouse in rough hills of Tennessee all day and not see a bird until near the end of the hunt. Then, on a perfect point have it flush back in between both of you like a bat out of hell. You know old man grouse defeated you that day especially when you see him climb high into the sky like a pheasant and settle in on top of a ridge protected by a cliff face(fort grouse). Tried chasing em up their once and swore those dang birds were kicking rocks down at us.

Mills I think many probably agree and have agreed in the past with your statement about 16 to 28 gauge guns for upland hunting. A light 12 is good as well but there is something about the 16, 20, and 28 that match up right for the upland style setting. I know folks love their 410's but I am handicapped enough and I think a 410 gives game and targets too much of an advantage over me.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #27
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,364 Times in 4,429 Posts

I have fortunately never been present when a hunting accident occurs . I have made mistakes at times and fortunately no one has ever been hurt. You just have to be careful all the time. Preaching to the choir, I know . . .

I picked up a fixer upper VH 20 earlier this year and hope to add some more small bores in 2019. That is going to be my New Year's resolution
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #28
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,639 Times in 994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Btw what gauge was Dick Cheney shooting.
According to CNN, it was a 28-ga.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #29
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,605 Times in 392 Posts

I seem to recall it was a 28ga Perazzi MX28
The Following User Says Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #30
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,693 Times in 1,867 Posts

Mills I do not recall ever hearing of a New Years resolution to add more small bores or to even add more guns of any type. It usually goes the other way. I knew the first time we met you were alright
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post: