Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-04-2021, 12:11 AM   #21
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I've subscribed to Dale Rollins' monthly emails for some time. Dale is a biologist who has been studying quail for many years. I'm always interested to expand my knowledge of game birds and the environment. The link provided is Dale's monthly communication for this month, and it has some thought provoking information regarding predation. I work hard to keep and open mind and avoid using my personal observations as gospel on complex matters such as bird numbers, knowing that because I see something, does not mean my "personal empiricism" is accurate.

As with some many issues like this, we need more expansive thinking and open minds...but, also, action. None of this is easy.

https://mailchi.mp/cefae1744b33/rpqr...4?e=1c9b542a38
Gary: Dr Rollins has in hand the most on ground data base for quail management of perhaps anyone out there at this point in time. I respect his points. Dr N. Silvy was doing his PhD work at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale under Klemstra as was DR. D. Urban (a good friend, listed in Dr. Silvy's Bib.) while I attended there.

Given all of that.... I am going to side with Rollins. He is an in the field researcher not an in office researcher. Dirty hands and boots on the ground are the way to go.

It should be noted that managing quail in Texas whether it be the rolling Plains of "West Texas" or down in the quail country of the Rio Grande Plain its a different world from the 40+ inch per year stuff in our traditional South.

So, how does this apply to our grouse.... Well one must interpret the data and outcomes. One can say that managing habitat is managing habitat but that is not true. True, each animal needs food water and cover to survive but as we know there must be a relationship between them all and that includes what we call interspersion. Each of us knows from experience what seems to be ideal grouse cover. If the birds are there we are happy campers. If they are not we want to find a reason.

As a quail manager I can believe there is an over population of raptors just as much as there is an over population of coons and possums and skunks now that no one traps them any longer. However, there is still the thought that as stated says better habitat will decrease the impact of those predators. Guthery, Fred PhD (past Chair at Texas A&M Kingsville, Bollenback Chair in Oklahoma) studied the quality of nesting as it relates to number of nes clumps in grass nesting areas and found the more avail clumps to act as "dummy" nest clumps the better the nest survival. This is a small point but an important one.

We need to examine every portion of the needs and wants of our favorite bird whichever it may be and work to see that the management goals and prescriptions of the agency working fit with the most beneficial techniques for our birds for our area.

Just my thoughts.
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Hering For Your Post:
Unread 04-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #22
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I just got a couple of guns back from Lou. I had my Davis / Gitman SC trigger pull taken down from 4 lbs. to 3 lbs. I also had a high original condition true trap gun with all extras worked on to have the single trigger pulls reduced. This gun fired at 7 lbs pull and almost 71/2 lbs pulls. I had them reduced to 3 lbs. I knew the DHE trigger pulls were too much but had no idea that they went over 7 lbs.

I had both guns back in a week.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote