Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-29-2018, 07:31 AM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,444 Times in 12,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
Thanks Dean. The reason I ask is because I have been looking at a "Skeet" Configured gun made in 1935. It has 26" barrels, single trigger, straight stock, and beavertail forend. And has a Parker Letter supporting all of this. But the original factory choking is not mentioned in the letter, and the barrel flats are stamped Skeet In/Skeet Out. The seller is selling it as a factory skeet gun. Oh, and it was re-finished by Larry D.
Steve, any parker stamped “Skeet” refinished by Del Grego is questionable.
They upgraded a sizable number of Parkers to “Skeet” guns and many went from V grades to higher grades. Most of these guns had serial numbers only found in the “missing” books.
You are very fortunate that a research letter supports everything but the chokes.... but therein lies the big (?). There’s no way to prove it either way.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn’t pay a “Skeet Gun” price for it.

I once had the opportunity to buy a 20 gauge GHE “Skeet” configured gun from a guy at my club that I knew was a Del Grego gun, for $2K. I passed on it and a year or so later it appeared on the web page of a well-known dealer for $7500 and it didnt stay there long. Just saying - those guns are not for me.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #22
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,289 Times in 909 Posts

Thanks Dean, I am going to pass on the gun. Good advise.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #23
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Thanks Dean, I am going to pass on the gun. Good advise.
Steve - I think we've looked at (and considered) the same gun. As you stated, there's a letter, which is great, but! The choke markings showing, "skeet in/out" seem to have a different font than other pcs that appear to be the genuine article. Further, the gun has a pad. We don't get the benefit of a bare checkered butt to help with verification.

All said, if indeed we're referencing the same pc; it is a nice gun and does seem to be priced accordingly considering the uncertainty(s) that exist.

*caveat - please don't hold me to the assertion of a different font stamp b/c there's alot I don't know regarding variables over time as the guns were produced.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #24
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I rechecked my records and it looks like my memory is not what it used to be. It is a 1 1/2 frame with a single trigger.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Moffa For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #25
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Cardillo View Post
Steve - I think we've looked at (and considered) the same gun. As you stated, there's a letter, which is great, but! The choke markings showing, "skeet in/out" seem to have a different font than other pcs that appear to be the genuine article. Further, the gun has a pad. We don't get the benefit of a bare checkered butt to help with verification.

All said, if indeed we're referencing the same pc; it is a nice gun and does seem to be priced accordingly considering the uncertainty(s) that exist.

*caveat - please don't hold me to the assertion of a different font stamp b/c there's alot I don't know regarding variables over time as the guns were produced.
Scott, yes indeed the same gun. It is very nice and probably well worth the asking price just for the options, but when i purchase a "skeet" gun i want it to be right.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #26
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,967 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post

Parker (Remington Arms) finally adopted the name of "Skeet Gun" as Bruce points out, in 1936. But Parker Bros was producing Skeet configured guns well before '36 and there are several examples out there.
Do you or anyone else know when Remington Arms started stamping the barrel flats with "Skeet In" and "Skeet Out"? I believe it was done in the years just before 1936.
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #27
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Pete, according to the Parker Pages sometime "about" 1937
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #28
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Pete, according to the Parker Pages sometime "about" 1937
As you know I have a 12ga GHE Skeet properly configured and stamped with no sign of ever being refinished/upgraded. Case exists in only protected areas, barrel bluing shows carry wear above the receiver. Scratches in stock finish. The letter on the gun says the following; the gun was begun in June 1934, shipped to the warehouse on January 13, 1935. It was shipped to a EC Palmer on March 23, 1936. It featured Parker Special Steel Barrels with a length of 26". It's stock configuration is straight grip. The Ledger records it having a Single trigger and Trap Model Forend.

It also has double ivory beads, manual safety, tightest choke by measurement and stamping in/on right barrel, checkered butt, barrel flats stamped "Skeet In" and "Skeet Out".

It is a transition gun as it has Parker Bros. on the top rib and Parker on the underside of the receiver.

Seems right as rain to me.
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,444 Times in 12,436 Posts

I've seen the gun Pete.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #30
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I've seen the gun Pete.
I know it's been awhile, what is your judgement on it's originality as a "Skeet" gun?