Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,501 Times in 12,442 Posts

The barrel steel, for as long as barrels were identified with a stamp, was stamped on the foreword half of the right barrel flat, and if the barrels were fluid steel the stamped letter was within the circle.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #22
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean if your post is in response to my previous statement, I was referring to Remington Parkers that bear the grade designation and gauge markings on the left side of the barrel lug. Fig. A-13 pg 19 of the Parker Identification and Serialization illustrates my statement. In the absence of a stamp in the circle the grade might be found there.
Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Yes Eric, my post was in response to yours.
I see the "V GRADE" stamp on the side of the lug in that picture but it refers to the grade of the gun this set of barrels was fitted to. It does not however, identify the barrel steel. After the Parker operation was moved to Ilion, Remington Arms no longer stamped a legend on the top rib and no longer used the same barrel steel that Parker Bros. had used and continued to use while under Remington ownership in Meriden CT. Remington used their own formula for chromium/molybdenum steel, so the barrel steel designation stamps we are used to seeing on Meriden Parkers was dropped accordingly.
I have never seen a stamp like the one in that picture which identified the barrel steel rather than the grade of the gun.

I may be wrong but these are my observations.

But I am dead right when I say we had a great time shooting at Scarborough on Sunday and I enjoyed shooting with you!

Unread 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,965 Times in 4,801 Posts

Point one; we haven't been shown a picture of the vent rib on the gun in question. Point two; the grade of the gun stamped on the side of the lug on Remington replacement barrels is not always the grade of the gun the barrels are installed on.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 09:13 PM   #25
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean,
First you are so right about the great time shooting at Scarborough. I thoroughly enjoyed your and the other fellows company.

You are correct the V Grade refers to the grade of the gun or at least to the barrel grade and not the steel itself. My statement was incorrect. However, I don't subscribe to the notion that PB used a unique vulcan grade of steel throughout its production era. Vulcan Steel on the top rib was a marketing identifier just as V grade was on the side of the lug of late Remington guns. It was a different approach but served the same purpose.

I agree with you Bill that the barrel grade won't necessarily match the G grade frame. The first time I saw a Remington rebarrel it was marked V GRADE and skeet in skeet out on a 1892 DH. The barrels were serial numbered to the gun.
This gun is listed as having zero options but the rebarrel has ejectors. You can't tell if the frame was converted to ejectors or not from the photo. Deliberately I suspect.

Bill how to you know the barrels have a vent rib? What did I miss.

Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 09:44 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Dorr View Post
You are correct the V Grade refers to the grade of the gun or at least to the barrel grade and not the steel itself. My statement was incorrect. However, I don't subscribe to the notion that PB used a unique vulcan grade of steel throughout its production era. Vulcan Steel on the top rib was a marketing identifier just as V grade was on the side of the lug of late Remington guns. It was a different approach but served the same purpose.
Erick
To the point I made on my second post on page 2 of this thread - that being that the circle was stamped on the flat in advance of determining what grade gun (and barrel steel, Vulcan, Parker Steel, Parker Special Steel, Titanic...) they would be fitted to. We have seen rough Parker Bros. barrels that have no ribs yet, and have not had the chambers bored to any gauge or shell whatever, and the bores have not been finished either.... they are quite simply 'rough barrels' put in stock until they were needed - yet they had that circle stamped on the barrel flat awaiting the letter stamp for the type of steel they would be identified as according to the grade of gun they would be fitted to.
Yes, various steel compositions were used over the years on Parker Bros. fluid steel barrels - that is a known fact, and quite often dependent on where the tubes were sourced.