Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
never used any prmo powder..but i do like this red dot powder load...as you said pete it should be a great cold weather load...speaking about lead ive got to order me some soon im about out...
Promo is made by the same company that makes Red Dot. It is only sold in 8lb jugs and can usually be found for under $100. They claim it has the same burn rate as Red Dot but warn it is more dense and a smaller bushing may be needed to throw the same weight as Red Dot. The also warn it can vary from lot to lot so you need to weigh what the bushing your using each time you get a new jug.

That said I found my jug of Promo threw 16.5 grains with the same bushing that threw 16.5 grains of Red Dot. I loaded two boxes and shot some skeet. The loads felt hotter than Red Dot so I went down one bushing size which threw 16 grains. That worked much better in a AA hull, Win Pink Wad and 7/8 ounce of shot. I am now thinking I may stick with Promo over Red Dot since the savings can be as much as $20 per 8 pounds.
Pete Lester is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

went out to the shed and loaded up all the loose 10 ga hulls i could find...only found 14 hulls...i got the scales set at 19 grains then i hand loaded the 14 hulls..went by the book except i chose to use steel shot instead of lead im getting short on lead supplys...i used steel bbs...they weighed 1 ounce even i used a open bore 10 ga clayborughs and brothers gun a hammer gun weighs in at 8 1/2 lbs..did not pattern them just shot up in the trees...this is really a soft on the shoulder load and good on the gun...the report of sound was really good...i believe this to be the best light load ive ever fired in a 10 ga and it really has a clean burn...pete you gonna really like the 19 grain load...i will pattern them tommorrow its raining here at the momment...this is the way to get a lot more loads out of a pound of powder..if your on a budget like me this is the way to go... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

shot some of the red dot loads they pattern very well..the red dot powder works very well with 19 grains...i too shot the 22 grain load it would be fine with the 1 1/4 ounce load i think it would be deadly on early squirls where you have to shoot through dense foilage early in season...but the 22 grain is more than most people would want if shooting a lot of targets in a day... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote