Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-31-2018, 05:06 PM   #21
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,875 Times in 3,156 Posts

You owe it to the bird to shoot it hard with enough shot to kill it at the distance you decide to shoot. I'm sure you can figure out what that distance is, but just remember, pheasants are tough and can carry lead. Unless you want to feed scavengers, make sure you either shoot close with a cylinder bored 20 or not at all. I always count the birds that I knock down and don't find as part of my bag limit. It hurts to cripple a bird as noble as Mr. Rooster.

And I still recommend track shoes and a dog that breaks at the shot.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #22
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Ferguson View Post
I just bought a VH 20 that letters as having 28" Cyl & Mod. I measured the barrels and the bores are both .617 The right barrel has a 3 1/4" long choke and has .004 choke nearly to the end of the barrel then goes to cylinder bore. The left barrel has .015 choke.

I'm headed to Kansas pheasant hunting this week and don't have the time to pattern it before I go so what is your experience with the performance of a 20 ga cylinder bore choked gun ?

I will be shooting RST 7/8 oz #5's and just curious what to expect from the right barrel.

Thanks
Growing up, one of my Dad’s pals and hunting buddies hunted everything he hunted with one gun. It was a Iver Johson Cycle Works single shot 20 gauge with modified choke. He killed the crap out of wild Pheasants in the Texas panhandle with that gun. Just shoot the left barrel, pretend you are shooting a single shot, and you will be fine. I agree with most everyone here, that a far flushing wild bird is not for that cyl. bore, but modified sure is.
Unread 01-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #23
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,143 Posts

[QUOTE=Kevin McCormack;261727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
My advice would be to bring a different gun for late season pheasants.

Sound logic, Dean!
That old Browning just makes me want to go shooting! That would be a fun duck blind gun.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,942 Times in 4,789 Posts

Table training a new puppy is a real bitch sometimes. However, Kevin has found that table training a cock pheasant is a piece of cake.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #25
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,872 Times in 2,035 Posts

I have a vh20 with 26in cylinder and mod barrels and adhe 16 with 26 in cylinder and mod chokes. I have shot plenty of preserve pheasants with both of these guns, but I would not take either one of them on a trip to Kansas. I was in Kansas last January in the next to the last week of the Season flushes were few far between and at good distances. I was generally carrying my gh16 choked mod and put full or my 4E Ithika 16 chokedmod/full ,a much better choice for the Prairie