Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,729 Posts

Ray, Here ya go. I took the old girl outside but its 15 degrees so I didn't hang out to long. These barrels are difficult to photograph as they still have the clear coat on them that Oscar put on. I just dont have the heart to remove it just yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker BH 001.jpg (526.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Parker BH 002.jpg (523.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Parker BH 003.jpg (524.8 KB, 4 views)
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thx, Dave. What i see in the photos is a barrel who's scrolls are small, fine, tight and uniform and that is what might make them "finest" quality.

One thing we should probably not overlook is the fact that there was no industry standards in those days to grade the quality. What was extra fine to one maker was finest to another. I don't know if Parker purchased these barrels from different sources at the same time or over the course of years.

When you compare 3 to 4 and 4 to 6 blade barrels, you do see that the higher the grade the more uniform the pattern. I suppose that took some skill and time to achieve. It could have been that the difference between extra fine and finest 6 blade was this tightness and uniformity, even though it may have been splitting hairs. Because both the bars and rods were hammer more on higher grades, they may seem to be more gray and less flashy then the lower grades.

On the other hand, it may have been nothing more then marketing hype and I'm wasting time trying to figure it out! Especially in light of the fact Parker apparently used some 4 blade on grade 6 guns. Doesn't sound like Parker worried about the whole thing as much I as do!
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,729 Posts

Ray, Not to worry....This a great discussion on an interesting topic. Usually something good comes of these type of threads.