Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-07-2024, 06:44 PM   #21
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,654 Times in 3,134 Posts

I agree with Craig, and have felt that way for some time. The grade 5 guns have the gold treatment of the grip, and the beaded fence. I only have two at this time, and both are damascus barreled. The 1 frame 16ga is an 1892 gun, which had slightly less flair to the checkering, but the Gough engraving is very much finer than later guns. The 0 frame 20 has wonderful dog treatment, with two on both sides in addition to two on the trigger plate, chasing two birds.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2024, 06:49 PM   #22
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,133 Times in 486 Posts

That is great engraving.
Dan Steingraber is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2024, 05:40 PM   #23
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,585 Times in 1,674 Posts

Edgar: Very nice pair of B's. We see the double dogs flushing two birds on a number of B trigger plates. But none of them are exactly the same which adds to the intrigue of the grade 5 Parkers. Hope you make HHH this year and we can tie up in the parking lot for a show and tell.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 05-09-2024, 06:25 PM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,654 Times in 3,134 Posts

Craig, The 20ga is such a delight. It's original 28" damascus barrels are very thin, and my initial thought was that it had been honed. I acquired two additional sets of damascus barrels, 26" and 30", and, while they too seem thin, are what I feel is a safe wall thickness, with plenty of wall in the first 15-18". They both have oversized bores, and measure exactly what the 28" measures. Both are now fitted, and the 30" are just so nice to shoot.
My first BHE had some sort of venison on the trigger plate, as does the 1892 16ga, so finally getting one with something other than antlered game is a treat for me. There seems to be quite a few 'ho hum' steel barreled grade 5 guns on the market, but it amuses me that at this late stage in my life, I find I'm especially attracted to small bore damascus B grades.
I think meeting up for an eyeball at Hausmanns would be great fun. I haven't made it for 3 consecutive years and it pains me.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2024, 10:30 PM   #25
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,871 Times in 2,034 Posts

Edgar, sure hope you can make Hausmanns this year. Just got off the phone with Brett Hoops and offered to pick him up, help set up camp, and let him use my Gator, but probably won't make it.