Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Bill,
I will scan and post the letter tomorrow at work. As for the swivels themselves I always thought the rear mount was just missing the swivel. I will try to attach the front swivel to the rear mount and let you know tomorrow if it fits.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
wally vernon
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here is a pic of a swivel on one of the barrels. The pic is just a detail of a larger pic and as such, not of the greatest quality.

Also, as far as I know,the person who (falsely) claimed to have a letter on my gun is listed as a 'forum member" but he may be a PGCA member. I am not trying to start anything with him, so I will not name names. I just wanted to set the record straight on this wonderful piece of Parker history.

I am proud to be a member of this august group and have had the opportunity to meet a few of you at shows and even hunted once with Destry and his dad ( Fine gentlemen, btw). I really appreciate the kind words about this gun and the help you have given me in researching the original owner. I am in this for the history , beautiful guns, and the friends I have been able to make along the way.

Here is the butt

Last edited by wally vernon; 08-17-2010 at 06:51 PM..
wally vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wally vernon For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wally,
I find it interesting that your barrel attachment is of a somewhat different style than mine. Also my gun was built six years after yours yet the cost of the swivels dropped to $3.50. Do you have the original swivels?
Unread 08-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
wally vernon
Forum Associate

Member Info

What I have is what is shown. I assume you are asking if I have the "hooks" that go into the "eyes". If that is what you are asking, then no, I do not. I will say that the hook and eye sling swivels on old Winchesters look a lot like these.
wally vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes Wally it was the hooks that I was referring to. I tried the front hook on the rear mounting eye and it fit so I assume the gun came with two hooks. I need to find another one or will have to try to make a replacement.

Bill,
The letter for the pictured gun is shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1174.JPG (64.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg dhe20letter.jpg (65.4 KB, 15 views)
Oil Finish
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #26
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Oil Finish

Larry ; real oil finish is scarce on Parkers. Oil finishes were time consuming but are really a superior finish with the final coats rubbed out with rottenstone to produce that egg shell sheen.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #27
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,941 Times in 4,789 Posts

The Winchester style hooks that Wally is referring to and which I referred to are not of the style that Larry pictures. I have the style that Larry pictures on my 32" DHE, but I think the Winchester hooks may also fit. The Winchester hooks are much more convenient on a shotgun because they are "quick detachable" unlike the European style swivels that are not easily detachable. Thank you both for posting the letters for your great guns.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #28
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin W Hogan View Post
Larry ; real oil finish is scarce on Parkers. Oil finishes were time consuming but are really a superior finish with the final coats rubbed out with rottenstone to produce that egg shell sheen.

Best, Austin
Austin,
I find it interesting that Parker Brothers would take the time and expense and offer the oil finish without an extra charge. Also it still amazes me that ejectors cost an additional 25% of the cost of the entire gun.
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,389 Times in 12,419 Posts

I'm not surprised at all that ejectors for a Parker are priced so high. Consider the fact that an entirely different forend assembly is required with so many extra parts fitted and timed perfectly to the gun as well as the doll's head with milled guide grooves and the mortised stop plate being necessary to the operation of the ejectors. Also required are the holes drilled in the front of the frame along with the addition of perfectly fitted rods which protrude from the holes in the frame to trip the ejector mechanism in the forend when the gun is fired. It's really quite an elaborate system.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #30
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean I agree that it's an elaborate system but the extra parts involved easily fit into the palm of your hand. Also a couple extra holes or milled slots in a part that is already fixtured to be machined does not amount to very much as compared to the materials and labor involved in the manufacture of the entire gun.