Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,917 Times in 2,384 Posts

We have a higher sales tax here in Washington, but no state income tax!! Yet!! Up at our place in Kodiak, AK, the sales tax is around 7% but there is senior citizen relief.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2022, 05:11 PM   #12
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,199 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
A couple of years back I found a Colt SAA in .44 special in the Denver Cabelas and decided to buy it. A guy can't have too many Colt SAA's.... Got the price and had to go out of the gunroom to a separate counter to pay for it. When they added the 7% sales tax on it was too much, but I choked and bought it. The .44 special is a very easy shooting caliber for the SAA. I shoulda just walked away. 7% on a gun of over $1000 just took it too high. Can't see myself buying any more guns from that shop.
Yeah; the word is that Cabela's wouldn't open here unless they got a west bound exit off the K-96 bypass. Then the city added 1.2% to the regular sales tax to pay for it. 8.7% in the "Community Improvement District" while everywhere else in town it is 7.5 %.
Unread 08-31-2022, 05:11 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,947 Times in 3,169 Posts

"All good things must come to an end." (Chaucer)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2022, 06:17 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,728 Times in 3,475 Posts

My first Cabellas was the store in Dundee MI and I was able to purchase a Thermacell , don’t remmember what they had in the gun library . My second Cabellas was the one in Hamburg not to long after they opened , I remmember the gun library that day quite well . They had close to two dozen used K-80’s mostly in trap form but there may have been a couple skeet guns and a couple considered sporting . They also had a cabinet full of doubles mostly Parker's or Fox guns but I think there were a couple hardware store (Smith) guns as well
Unread 09-01-2022, 04:22 AM   #15
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hear you. I tried to sell a gun precisely once at Cabelas. I brought the pistol back unloaded and cased. The guy at the gun counter looked at me like I was crazy. This is in Virginia, not an anti gun state like New York. I had to go back to the front, log the gun in at the service counter, have a lock installed and have someone walk it back to the gun room for me. Once there, the guy gave a crappy price. I reluctantly agree. Then, they refused to do it because of some craziness about the validity of my VA driver license, which was perfectly valid. I left, went to a gun shop, sold the gun legally in 10 mins and walked out with a handful of cash, significantly more than Cabelas had offered. I’ve never gone back.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 09-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,567 Posts

I don't think Cabela's understood that they couldn't staff the library with "regular" workers. To run that sort of business -assessing used guns, pricing incoming guns, etc requires knowledgeable gun guys who probably can demand a higher wage rate
Unread 09-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #17
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,371 Times in 4,433 Posts

Big box stores just don't do sporting goods well. The small shops are the place for new guns. A few specialized dealers and other collectors are where you find old guns. For ammo and gear, Brownells and Midway USA or one of the other online places.
Unread 09-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #18
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Several years before Bass Pro took over Cabala's I was in the Wheeling, WVA store and saw several high grade AH Fox shotguns on display. I believe one was a XE and the other a DE and a CE.
The gun library there was always much nicer than the Columbus, Ohio store. Now I am not very impressed. The Columbus store I rarely visit.
Once they took over not much in quality Parker's, Fox, etc.
Really going down hill.
Very sad
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2022, 03:57 PM   #19
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,917 Times in 2,384 Posts

When the Cabelas opened near me, they cleaned out the local pawn shops and things like Winchester Model 50s that had been languishing in the local pawn shops in the $200 price range were in the Gun Library at $450.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #20
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I no longer do business with Cabelas/Bass Pro. For many years I counted on them for good quality products and simply the BEST in service. Any issue was handled well and quickly, didn't matter if you just ordered the wrong size or found a defect. No problem, their people made it right immediately. That is now a thing of the past. On top of that the town of Sidney, Nebraska is dying rapidly as I understand.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote