Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #11
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,267 Posts

Thanks Edgar !
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,234 Times in 3,275 Posts

As Edgar says

Choke is really the difference between the bore diameter and the constriction at the muzzle

The weakness with the tapered/wedding cake devices is that they only measure the diameter of the muzzle and that they assume a standard bore size. So older bores which may not be modern standard, or back bored barrels will be off

Bore gauges will tell you the true constriction and give you some idea if a choke has been modified

IMHO. If you are going to buy the gauge anyway. Get it 15 to 18 inches long and you can measure the bore for free
Unread 02-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

If your main interest is measuring chokes you may want to look at MSC for a gage which measures inside diameters from .375- 1.375". The gage is capable of measuring the last three inches of choke, is very accurate, and will accurately indicate how the choke is formed. It has a face similar to a dial indicator with 2 arms, 1 stationary and 1 which pivots. The gage is made in China and have had mine for nearly 2 decades and also use it for lathe work. I paid $75 through Enco at the time which became part of MSC recently.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Budgeon View Post
If your main interest is measuring chokes you may want to look at MSC for a gage which measures inside diameters from .375- 1.375". The gage is capable of measuring the last three inches of choke, is very accurate, and will accurately indicate how the choke is formed. It has a face similar to a dial indicator with 2 arms, 1 stationary and 1 which pivots. The gage is made in China and have had mine for nearly 2 decades and also use it for lathe work. I paid $75 through Enco at the time which became part of MSC recently.
Only problem with those (and I have one) is on guns like Foxes the chokes are often over 4" long and you can't reach in far enough to get all the choke. That said for other guns with shorter chokes its fine.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I have one of the Enco finger gauges mentioned above. It works fine on most Parker chokes but is limited to around 3". A few years back Dave Suponski offered Starrett inside diameter vernier calipers for sale here. They can measure to a depth of a bit over 5.5" and are accurate to .0001", I think. I couldn't get one fast enough. Not sure how large a diameter they'll measure but the smallest seems to be ~9/16"(.5625") so they're great for smaller bore guns of greater than .410. I'm not sure I've tried on on a 12ga or larger. Dave could likely give a better description. I do know I love this thing.

Looks like it actually can read to .001". Not sure. Dave, where are you?? Yes, it's .001" grads and has an official range of .575" - .750". I think you could measure a bit under the lower limit closely enough for choke measurements. This is not a gauge that Starrett currently offers.

BTW: I got my PP yesterday. I was reading "my" article and concluded that the next time I need a resume, I'm getting Mike to write it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3960.jpg (244.1 KB, 1 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #16
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I have one of the Enco finger gauges mentioned above. It works fine on most Parker chokes but is limited to around 3". A few years back Dave Suponski offered Starrett inside diameter vernier calipers for sale here. They can measure to a depth of a bit over 5.5" and are accurate to .0001", I think. I couldn't get one fast enough. Not sure how large a diameter they'll measure but the smallest seems to be 9/16"(.5625") so they're great for smaller bore guns of greater than .410. I'm not sure I've tried on on a 12ga or larger. Dave could likely give a better description. I do know I love this thing.

CAN A MODERATOR DELETE THIS DUPLICATE POST PLEASE?
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote