Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

The problem with actually doing it and possibly getting caught is that there wouldn't just be a fine. My guess is they'd confiscate the gun as well which wouldn't be a good thing.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,015 Times in 1,449 Posts

Thanks guys, I am pretty happy today with the passing of the rule. I actually got a double surprise as the draw results for Elk hunting came out today and I drew my 1st choice of Archery Bull in Unit 10 here in AZ. Starts September 13 and is during the rut. It has been 12 years since my last permit.

Anyway Destry as crazy as it sounds most of AZ is still pro-gun and pro Hunter. The rule changing process is quit lengthy and has lots of visibility. In this case, it was almost past once but then a committee voted to reject the approval. This interrupted the rule making process a little. Luckily we have a Game Commission that instructed the committee to go back and look at it some more. Here is the process for getting a rule changed.
Rulemaking Process

Welcome to the rulemaking page for the Arizona Game and Fish Commission. This page is a service to provide the public with information about the rulemaking process and Game and Fish Commission rules.

Have you ever wondered how the Arizona Game and Fish Department creates the rules for hunters, anglers, and other customers? In addition to making sure that Game and Fish rules are concise and easy to understand, the Department’s Rules and Risk Section is responsible for ensuring that all rules meet statutory requirements before the Department submits the rulemaking to the Secretary of State (SOS), Attorney General, or Governor’s Regulatory Review Council (GRRC) for final approval.

The rulemaking process:

Notice of Rulemaking Docket Opening: SOS publishes the Commission’s Notice in the Arizona Administrative Register (AAR) to notify the public that the Commission is considering amending its rules.

Notice of Proposed Rulemaking: SOS publishes the Commission’s Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the AAR to provide the public with the actual proposed additions, deletions, or changes to the Commission’s rules.

Comment periods: The public has three opportunities in which to submit comments to the Commission: 1). Any time. Comments received by the Department are placed in the rule record and will be considered by the next review or Rulemaking team. 2). During the thirty (30) day public comment period immediately following the publication of the proposed rules in the AAR. Once a proposed rule is published, the public has at least thirty (30) days to submit comments to the Department concerning the rule. 3). At a Commission Meeting. A blue 'speaker slip' is required and are available to the public at each Commission Meeting.

Note: Comments are statements, suggested rule language, data, views, or other observations submitted to the Department in regards to an existing or proposed rule. Comments submitted during the official 30-day public comment period for a particular rulemaking will become part of the official record for that proposed rulemaking.

Notice of Final Rulemaking: The Department drafts a Notice of Final Rulemaking after considering comments and other information received during the comment period. The Department must determine whether the suggestions received meet the Department’s mission and objectives, do not place an undue burden on the regulated community, are not discriminatory, and are permitted under statute.

Submittal to Governor’s Regulatory Review Council: The Department submits the final rulemaking to GRRC. GRRC reviews the rulemaking to ensure that the rules are necessary, consistent with legislative intent, within the agency's statutory authority, do not create an adverse impact on the public, and whether the benefits of the rule outweigh the costs.

Approval by GRRC: When GRRC determines that the rulemaking meets the statutory criteria identified above, GRRC will approve and file the final rulemaking with SOS.

Effective date: Typically, the effective date of the rule is sixty (60) days from the date of filing. However, the Commission may request an immediate or specific effective date when authorized by statute, specified in the rulemaking preamble, and approved by GRRC.

Codification: SOS publishes final rulemakings in the Arizona Administrative Code (Code). The Code is the official compilation of rules that govern state agencies, boards, and commissions; the paper copy of the Code serves as the official version. SOS is required to publish updates to the Code four times a year. As a result, the Code may not contain the most recent Game and Fish rules. The Rule Changes page provides Commission rules approved by GRRC, but not yet included in the Code.

The above rulemaking description is not comprehensive. It is meant only to provide a brief overview of the rulemaking process and is not binding on the Commission or Department. Furthermore, different types of rulemakings, such as emergency, exempt, and expedited rulemakings require different procedures for completion.

To obtain specific rule information or to submit a comment on a particular rule or rulemaking, please contact the Rules and Risk Section:
Rules and Risk Section
Office: (623) 236-7390
E-mail: Rulemaking@azgfd.gov

Anyway sorry for filling up so much space. I guess I have a hope that if most states approved the ban on 8 gauges we could possibly find ourselves in a position to challange the federal ruling concerning 8 gauges and larger guns some time in the future.
My next quest is to get some 8 gauge reloading equipment and pick the brains of some of the members like Charlie, Destry and others that have a passion about shooting big bore guns.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm telling you guys, if this had hit the right newspapers the anti crowd would have had a field day. The headlines would read:

"Arizona Man Trying to Get Cannon Made Legal For Bird Hunting"

I'm glad you got it done, but again I'd keep it kinda quiet till the new law has a minute to settle in. This just isn't the thing that you want some liberal drum beater to key in on as his pet issue to hate.

I've never loaded an 8 gauge shell in my life, just always bought them from Tom Armbrust. The ones I used in the UK were loaded by a friend there. Hope some of the other boys are able to help you more than I can.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,797 Times in 3,968 Posts

phil if you do not have TOM ARMBRUST S book 4 and 8 bore you need it its got a lot of good reading and pictures of these old cannons and the best part its full of reloading info on the 8 ga and the 4 ga...i use this info often and the book is not bad in price i think it was 27.50 when i bought it a few years ago...and mr arbrust will talk and answer any question you have about the big guns.plus he can and will load custom loads for anyone at a fair price... you will like reloading these old shells you really dont need a lot of equipment...a old 10 ga lee 3 1/2 hand loader a roll crimper from ballistic reloading a set of good powder scales ..also you must have a rezizing die for the hull as you know the industrial 8 ga hull has a small built up ring on the brass to keep a loaded industrial hull from going into a 8 ga gun..the resizeing dye can be bought i do not have the were abouts of it...but i can tell you how to take a cheap set of pipe pliars and do a good job with them...it will not be as pretty as the resizing die but does ok for me.... i have learned most of the 8 ga info i know rite here from all the guys...will help with what ever i know for anyone...dont let destrey fool you he and bill are very very good at knowing about these old guns...i owe destrey a lot he sold me my first old 8 ga a f. a. loomis... good luck with the hunt.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,364 Times in 4,429 Posts

I need to get that book. Also, Phil, please post some photos of your Parker 8, as we would love to see it. I am saving up for a Parker 8.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Since many of these posts are from Northern members I assume Canada also has a ban on waterfowling with an eight bore?
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Canada

US

Mexico

Banned in all three.
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Three cheers for Arizona I say....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nebraska's turkey hunt guide says a shotgun with shot size 2-71/2. There is no guage stipulation.
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Finally a victory for freedom and liberty! Now all we need to do is get the Feds out of this business and leave it to all the states to decide what is best for their citizens.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote