Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,533 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
Hey Scott, where is Lester?? Did all the crows scare him off
he was invited but he said ,"wouldn't be enough shooting for him" the pants work fine, killed most ever on a hunt, with a good teacher and blind builder we could have dressed in hot pink ( not me . Frank) scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,289 Times in 909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott kittredge View Post
he was invited but he said ,"wouldn't be enough shooting for him" the pants work fine, killed most ever on a hunt, with a good teacher and blind builder we could have dressed in hot pink ( not me . Frank) scott
Now hot pink would look good on either of you guys
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

what kind of devise would you boys recommend to use on those crows...be sides a mouth call.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

No pic of the white crow? Now that I'd like to see! I chased a partial albino crow around for about a year but never could get a shot. He was a town bird so I was limited to an air rifle.....

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,533 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
No pic of the white crow? Now that I'd like to see! I chased a partial albino crow around for about a year but never could get a shot. He was a town bird so I was limited to an air rifle.....

Destry
Destry, the crow had about 45% white wing feathers,( seen in pics) i shot one last year and have only seen a pic of another one. frank shot the 2nd one i have seen. scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
what kind of devise would you boys recommend to use on those crows...be sides a mouth call.... charlie
Charlie the most important thing you need in this order; quality of recorded sounds, reproduction of those sounds, player battery life.

Johnny Stewart brand sounds are hands down the best, particularly Crows fighting with Owl, Death Cry of a Crow, Crow Come Here and Single Excited Crow.

The current technology is digital, the dominant brand is Foxpro. Their units range from $250 to $1000. All but the most expensive digital units are designed for predator hunting, battery life is too short for serious crow hunting and sound reproduction is not as good as using a remote horn style speaker. The older technology, portable cassette players like the Johnny Stewart 612 and 512 along with units like the Lohman 2000 offer the best performance for the money. Although out of production, lightly used and like new units can be found on Ebay and they sell for $35 to $100 bucks. Most will need new batteries, they used sealed lead acid alarm system batteries that can be found at any electrical supply store for about $15. They are easy to install. Cassette tapes are getting harder to find but again careful watching of Ebay will result in success. I record my own tapes from a Johnny Stewart Crow CD.

The sealed lead acid batteries in these cassette players can run up to 20 hours on a charge. The digital units can't come close to that amount of play time as they use AA batteries.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

thanks pete.. will keep out an eye on ebay for this stuff... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote