Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Dean in MI we had the same problem with the apples and other fruits, warm spring days and then a very hard frost, wiped out a lot of fruit farmers too. Good luck tomorrow, I am planning on going up Friday for three or four days hopefully the weather will be better this time.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have been moving lots of Grouse each time I have gone out. Moving is the optimum word as the cover is so thick it's often just a glimpse or the sound of wings that let you know there was a bird here.

Woodcock are very spotty however. I got into some flight birds on 10/20 in a buch of scrub oaks of all places. It was so thick you could harsly get through the stuff. In four trips to the U.P. I haven't seen much more than half a dozen Woodcock.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,215 Times in 3,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
I have been moving lots of Grouse each time I have gone out. Moving is the optimum word as the cover is so thick it's often just a glimpse or the sound of wings that let you know there was a bird here.

Woodcock are very spotty however. I got into some flight birds on 10/20 in a buch of scrub oaks of all places. It was so thick you could harsly get through the stuff. In four trips to the U.P. I haven't seen much more than half a dozen Woodcock.
Sounds like my covers in NY, significantly more grouse moved than last year, but in spite of the leaves changing early they have hung on and covered the escapes. But woodcock are few and far between in normally reliable thickets.

it will be a few days before we get out again, it will be interesting to see what if any affect the storm has, I hope the wind will have clared some shooting lanes. On the other hand downed trees can dramatically alter a cover.