Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-13-2022, 11:02 PM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,004 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
no 2 is the biggest shot we can use too..not many years back we could use a rifle or even buckshot...my favorite shot size was bb and no 2...used a rifle some but never got to kill one with a rifle...my scope got knocked outa specks once missed turkey at about 40 steps turkey flew into a tree about 100 steps wind was blowing hard I shot up nearly abox of shells...was shooting a 222 Remington....my dad came up and wanted to know what I was shooting so much about that time turkey flew outa off the tree...got home shot the rifle it was shooting about 4 feet off....charlie
Charlie you sound like my uncle haha he has to re-zero his rifle every few weeks, I use a Wheeler fat wrench for mounting mine and it comes in handy. I cant say I ever had any scope problems but I only use Leupolds as well. If I got a Florida hunting license I could drive 10 minutes over into Florida and shoot turkeys with a rifle. I would think something like a 22 WMR would work for turkey shoot them in the base of the neck is what I have heard not sure if a rimfire is allowed though.

I think our local turkey population may be done for though, had a few farmers say they believe the hurricane back in 2018 destroyed most the nests and habitat as they havnt seen many if any since then.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I made some decappers for the 8 and 10 gauge this morning, I am beginning to think dowels are your most important tool for reloading shotshells .
Unread 03-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

I ve got to make some decappers for some of my brass shells some of them have real small primers in them...yep I ve had bad luck with scopes all my life...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2022, 06:34 AM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
I ve got to make some decappers for some of my brass shells some of them have real small primers in them...yep I ve had bad luck with scopes all my life...charlie
I had found a guy in England who makes a decapper/capper kit for the 8 gauge but I figured why not make them myself plus his were designed to be used in a press. Charlie if you can find one the Leupold made Redfield Revolutions were good cheap scopes they made about 10yrs ago. I put one on a 9lb 338 Lapua and it managed to survive, also I torque all my rings and bases to I believe 25 inch pounds which is about what every rifle/scope maker recommends.

Im actually planning to go to a simpler scope perhaps a Leupold 6x42 fixed power, I read 6xs were the preferred hunting scope before the 3-9x40 came around. Another way to take some guess work out of your scope mounting is to get one of those single piece mounts like the DNZ game reaper. They are machined from one piece so the front and rear are always concentric no lapping required they are a bit ugly but they work.
Unread 03-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

bout the only good scope I got is own my german drilling its one of those you just spap off and snap back on and its ready to go...what beats me its a tasco scope....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote