Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #11
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

As I understand it and no expert on it, but based on work of a lot of others, the shot column on a 1 ounce load in 16 gauge is optimal for producing less shot stringing issues. Meaning with that gun almost all that 1 ounce load is going to get to that target or bird at about the same time and might throw a pattern that looks like a large and extra large pizza pan. I think that is what makes a perfect upland gun.

Regurgitating what I have read and you and others probably well know, if shot columns in shells are not squared they have a tendency to string and get flyers and stringing can be over a span of 4 to 5 feet or up to 8 to 10 feet depending how far down range. If that is the case in say a one ounce load that is stringing since it was in a 20 gauge instead of a 16 gauge then it is the same as only shooting a half to three quarter ounce load at the target down range. This really makes a difference in pass shooting or crossing targets, but think it really noticeable in the success rate even on going away shots.

With that gun out to about 30 yards and if you point anywhere near close proximity you may be hard pressed to ever miss a shot. BTW there is a reason diminutive Annie Oakley shot a pair of 16 gauges and setting a record hitting close to 4,800 targets out of 5,000 at about a 96% score rate over a 9 hour period. Performance and recoil management.

Enjoy that new to you gun. BTW was saying this the other day to Tom Flanigan. I think a 1 frame Parker 16 gauge using a 1 ounce load is the perfect congress of an upland gun, especially if a gun is choked like yours.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 09-12-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,700 Times in 1,870 Posts

Sure Bill and I'm only going to smoke cigars on the weekends and special occasions. This could just be the beginning for you.

[QUOTE=For those who know me better, no I am not going to be buying any dang 20 or 28 and certainly no useless 410. [/QUOTE]
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,472 Posts

I make no bones about it, I love smallbore (20 and 28ga.) shotguns.
This sums it up pretty good as I see it and Brister's book is one that should be read by anyone who likes scatterguns.

"There are shooters who definitely can put more birds into the sack with a lightweight 20 or 28 gauge than they can with a heavier 12. But this not due to gauge but to balance, weight, gun fit, recoil, speed of swing – or maybe how much the man likes his gun."

“Shotgunning – The Art and the Science” by Bob Brister.
Unread 09-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
"There are shooters who definitely can put more birds into the sack with a lightweight 20 or 28 gauge than they can with a heavier 12. But this not due to gauge but to balance, weight, gun fit, recoil, speed of swing – or maybe how much the man likes his gun."

“Shotgunning – The Art and the Science” by Bob Brister.
Well........ There is that.

Guilty as charged. Discussing which gauge and load is the best is the same as saying which caliber and grain bullet combination is the best. Ultimately just a matter of perspective and what you like, many effective alternatives. Now I have shot some guns that did not like the look of very well at all like a Beretta SXS. The profile of gun is great but throw it to shoulder it looked like I was on top of a hill looking down a ski jump. Once I blocked that out and just focused on target I was hitting everything but it just felt icky as compared to shooting a Parker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,364 Times in 4,429 Posts

A cousin of mine and a friend of ours got married. Both from local hunting families. Families weren't enemies, but were not really friends either. My parents have the newlyweds and the parents over for dinner to break the ice.

My cousin (the father of the bride) starts off that he has started shooting 28 gauges on doves in Argentina and goes on to expound on the good qualities of 28 gauges and why they are better than 20's, on and on.

Father of the groom is silent. They finally ask him "and what do you shoot?"

"12 gauge" he says

Silence and then, "well why is that?"

"When I shoot at something, I want to kill it"
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #16
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Honest officer, all I said is that any man that shoots a 12 gauge has an inferiority complex...

Gotta love Savannah dinner party conversations.
Unread 09-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #17
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
"12 gauge" he says

Silence and then, "well why is that?"

"When I shoot at something, I want to kill it"
I don't know that I would go that far Mills for me anyway, I just like the heft and the feel of a 12....heck I like the feel of a 10 and if they weren't so blasted expensive I might postulate getting an 8. Its like pistol shooting, I prefer a 45 to a 38 special or a 9mm any day of the week. .357 is fun too. I just don't get anything out of shooting the smaller calibers.

Now, strangely on rifles it is a bit the opposite. I don't see any need to use anything bigger than my .257 roberts. It'll kill an elk and I don't hunt any bigger than that.
Unread 09-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #18
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Bill congrats on a nice upland gun. I once had a 16 choked .004 and .010 and it was death on grouse and pheasants. Thats one I wish I had back. I'm a big fan of small bores as well and love the 20's and 28's. If you ever get a 28 there will be no going back and IMHO the 410 isn't useless. I enjoy mine on a clays course and for quail and the odd woodcock flight if you can hit one.

I like the 257 Roberts as well but have shot deer with my 416 Taylor
Unread 09-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,103 Posts

Bill ,Congrats on a nice small bore ,my guess is you are going to Love It ! I have to say it probably won't be your last ,this is a very slippery slope you have started down ! I have to agree with Rich on the 410 I wouldn't say totally useless , I always enjoy mine when I carry it and these two fellas ended up dead enough ! I carry mine once a year on a Preserve hunt as well as my Buddy carries his Fox 410 and when we get good solid points and close shooting they are deadly !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00043.jpg (511.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00053.jpg (520.7 KB, 1 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
I don't know that I would go that far Mills for me anyway, I just like the heft and the feel of a 12....heck I like the feel of a 10 and if they weren't so blasted expensive I might postulate getting an 8. Its like pistol shooting, I prefer a 45 to a 38 special or a 9mm any day of the week. .357 is fun too. I just don't get anything out of shooting the smaller calibers.

Now, strangely on rifles it is a bit the opposite. I don't see any need to use anything bigger than my .257 roberts. It'll kill an elk and I don't hunt any bigger than that.
The old .257 Roberts is a great caliber. I've never owned one, but it was one of Jack O'Connors favorite cartridges. It's what his wife shot. Many people think you need a cannon for large game. It's not true. The problem with the 7mm magnum and other calibers is that they kick like hell. As a result, people don't spend enough time shooting them and becoming competent shots. I have taken many moose with the .270 and 130 grain handloads and never had one go more than 80 yards or so.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote