Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

ahhh..okay, Bill's right, that's a caliper.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,952 Times in 4,794 Posts

The Boremaster "inventor" shows his lack of knowledge about shotguns in general and Parkers specifically in his story about warning a pheasant hunter about his "dangerous" #4 frame Parker 12 gauge. He is a heck of a salesman if he can successfully promote a bore gauge that measures six inches of bore from each end. However, I have met him and he is a nice guy and is probably good to his dogs.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Despite the fact the "boremaster" is not a bore gage, per se'..it's still a pretty useful tool and certainly convenient for limited measurements. (ie: 6" depth). Particularly for measuring wall thickness because obtaining wall thickness using a bore gage would require math after taking a measurement of the outside diameter (od). There is a modest degree of ingenuity in the gage as well because a caliper with extended jaws like that has a tendency to flex and skew the desired measurement due to the moving part of the gage not being beefed-up where it rides the beam. The inventor overcomes that variable (flex) by making the gage spring loaded which is conducive to consistent pressure. Not a bad gage for quick reference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I once found an outrageous Prussian Lindner 16 gauge hammer gun at the Allentown, PA gun show. After collecting Lindner guns for many years, I had never seen or heard of a smallbore Lindner hammer gun, especially one in medium high condition. The gun was just below a Diamond Grade and tight as a tick. It was easily a $3000 to $5500 gun. I asked the price and it was $700. I didn't care whether it had a stock or barrels and I peeled off $700 without asking any questions, which I knew the seller would not be able to answer, judging from his table full of brown guns. When I got home and much later examined the bores, I found that about 13 inches from the muzzles, there was a hole that went from one barrel to the next. Yes, a hole from left to right, or right to left. I chuckled to myself and wondered which previous owner had discovered the holes. Had the price been $5500 and I used one of the Robert Louis gauges to measure the bores, I would not have had any idea that the gun was virtually worthless as a shooter or collector gun. If you are considering purchasing a 34" barrel gun, you have to have a tool that will measure a 34" barrel. These little toy gauges are not worth ten cents to a serious collector. I have tools in my machinist's junk box that will do what the Robert Louis gauge will do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #15
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

For less than the cost of the Roubert Louis gauge, you can arm yourself with a much better arsenal of tools. From top to bottom and left to right are two Walker chamber gauges, 12 and 16, from Brownells, which are simple go-no go devices, but accurate. $20 bucks apiece. Then comes a 3 1/2 inch inside dial caliper that is my go to gun show tool for assessing chambers and chokes. It is accurate, but has some variation because of operator inconsistency. $50 bucks at the local pawn shop. Next down is the Skeets bore gauge in 12 and 16 ga size. It will measure chambers, chokes and full bores of 28 inch barrels going in 14 inches from each end. More accurate than the inside caliper, because with three balls or prongs it is not so susceptible to operator inconsistency. $100 bucks used from a member on this site, now available again new from a different maker for about $140. Last is a Manson wall thickness gauge I got from Brownells. Used properly, it is the only tool of the bunch that can accurately, but not perfectly, measure wall thickness in up to 28 inch barrels. Operator skill is crucial in obtaining good accuracy. $100. Not as good as a Hosford gauge, but 20% of the price. Altogether , I'm invested less than $300 and feel relatively comfortable with the array. Don't let slick advertising sway you. He also sells a shotgun stock measuring device that is not as good as a flat table top and a tape measure in my opinion. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2883.jpg (79.0 KB, 3 views)
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Poindexter For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Indeed a nice group of tools for the task, Mike. I'd like to have a copy of the 'skeets bore gage' which I initially thought was the subject of this thread. How deep will it measure?
Unread 09-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,575 Times in 1,272 Posts

Mike Franzen, I know that guy you are talking about and he's actually not that smart. Good looking yes, but not really that smart.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #18
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Indeed a nice group of tools for the task, Mike. I'd like to have a copy of the 'skeets bore gage' which I initially thought was the subject of this thread. How deep will it measure?
Search an earlier thread on this forum entitled "Skeets Bore Gauge". The guys name Bulley according to the thread, although I don't see a phone number. My gauge only goes in 12 1/2 inches. Bulley will apparently make one as long as 18". Good hunting.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Poindexter For Your Post:
Unread 09-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bully is making the Skeet's gauge in 12-16 and 20-28 as long as you want it, about the same price as ten years ago. If anyone is confused by the operation of the Manson wall thickness gauge, I would be glad to give my tutorial in person. It is on the net somewhere, but I don't know where. There is no better wall thickness gauge for less than four times the price. Bully and Manson and a ruler are the three best tools to keep "them" honest.
Unread 09-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #20
DSizemore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Second the Bully. A skeets is fine too.
Dave Sizemore is offline   Reply With Quote