Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Good en Bob and a nice picture. And good job for cleaning him right. Good job to all who don't take the easy way out (cutting out the breast).
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,396 Times in 12,420 Posts

Oops... that leaves me out.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,797 Times in 3,968 Posts

gotta be some more turkey hunters out there with a good storey..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,396 Times in 12,420 Posts

Just returned from Vermont this evening. I couldn't get out hunting until this weekend and I normally get there for the May 1st opener. This morning I had a gobbler yelling his authority all over the scrubapple hillside but the trouble is that he was nearly a half mile away and with the beaver pond studded creek between us it just wasn't going to work. I gave him a short series of yelps and he clammed up and never spoke another word. I guess the hens are all 'nested up' now and a yelping hen is just out of place now.
I hiked back to camp and Jamie and I had some breakfast but we were keeping an eye on a tom and a hen diagonally across a 40 acre cornfield. The hen was in the harrowed cornfiels (too wet to plant yet) and the tom was in the timothy grass adjacent to the cornfield. They were about 30 yards apart. I decided to sneak down the gravel road bordering the upper side of the field and then cut down across the cornfield hoping to catch them in one of the low-lying spots where they were hidden from me.
I pulled off the sneak pretty flawlessly except when I got down to the bottom the turkeys were gone. I decided to try the knee deep timothy in case they were hunkered down waiting for me to pass by. So I zig-zagged through the timothy and I could see their fresh trails in the still dewy grass but I about gave up after a while. I was just about to head beck to camp when I decided to try a section about forty yards farther on. Suddenly the tom flushes like a cock pheasant from 25 yards away... I felt like yelling "ROOSTER"!! It was a right to left quartering shot. I could see he had about a six-inch beard so I swung through and fired the right barrel (full choke just like the left one) and missed. I led hum too much in my excitement... I hastily fired the left barrel and shot right over top of him and that's the way my turkey hunt went this year
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,797 Times in 3,968 Posts

those old big turkeys are harder to hit flying than about anything ive shot at flying....thats a good storey makes us fellows not to feel so bad when flub up...were was your cly bore gun when you need it.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote