Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,479 Times in 12,441 Posts

Idle threats my friend, idle threats

Come to think of it... maybe Jen'll let me take yer Porch out for a spin whilst yer gone
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

The gang sitting around the kitchen table are the epitome of Coca Cola cowboys during proabition.

Have a good hunt.

Roger Coger
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,180 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
....Come to think of it... maybe Jen'll let me take yer Porch out for a spin whilst yer gone
Actually - if you do call her - she may well ask you to go hunting over my dogs (after you take our Porsches out for a spin ). As well - remember - I train my own dogs, and as a few of you know - they are spectacular in the field - even the little one who I've only worked with for about 8-10 months.. Which - to be honest, is why I want to see Bruce's pup and how he has trained it up for the same length of time......

He may be the one who actually needs that helmet.. HA!!!!

We'll see.....

JD
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Good trips- well planned- but a helmet liner??
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Good trips- well planned- but a helmet liner??

Will have to say Bruce, that is a fine looking Setter, but the 'Nam era helmet liner (or "brain bucket") on a fine Parker instead of a M-14 or a M16 is a real interesting story in the offing, if you'd care to share. Who is the attractive Lady in the photo with the "surprised" look on her face? The Lady of the farm house where you guys stay? Been a few years since I hunted in SD- Chamberlain area, hope the birds are there for you and your crew. Interesting that you will have a mixture of both pointing and flushing dogs with you- do you usually split up into two-three man groups, or hunt the larger areas all together?? Good shooting--

Last edited by Francis Morin; 11-05-2009 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: correct mis-spelling
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Here's a photo of Charlie's setter Shea. Both Shea and my setter Triple are 8 months old and just recently began to be worked on live birds and be shot over. There is nothing like getting a young dog on wild birds and next week they will be there. I once had a pointer that was hopelessly gunshy and so I approach the first times being shot over with trepidation, but both these dogs have done well so far and show the makings of being good gundogs. And they are very lovable pets.

We hunt a little west of Huron, and the lady is Sue, the ranchhouse wife, chief cook and she who must be obeyed. We hunt as a group because of the huge land to be covered and plan tactics to cover a given piece of ground. Sometimes we get an older hunter who can't walk as hard and we can position those fellows where they can cut off escape routes and get shots. Our oldest hunter in the past has been 83. We suspect that John will not be able to keep up with me (62) or Charlie ( 67) so we'll likely have to bring a chair for him and use him as a blocker.

We are always outwitted by birdbrains but everyone will have an opportunity for their limit of three pheasant each. We generally see some prairie chicken. I've been hunting SoDak since the 1950's when we lived in Rapid City. I had relatives at SoDak State U at Brookings and I have memories of hunting with my father, Gov. Joe Foss and the university dean, a relative.

The helmet liner is just one of those military articles you collect over the years of service, 23 for dad, and 25 for me. The only gun I carried in Vietnam was a S&W Mod 10...they were afraid we Air Force pilots would hurt ourselves or others if they gave us something more effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shea%20on%20Point%2011-4-2009%20on%20pheasant%20001.jpg (104.5 KB, 8 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Hey Francis..!

Actually - you may find that Bruce has little time for frivolities of the Forum as he has now hired a Professional trainer for his puppy... After a bit of research, I stumbled upon his contact information and asked him about his training techniques...???... His reply:

"...This afternoon we took two hundred pheasant and set them out across the county.. I had my whole neighborhood do the setting & shooting and I handled the setter.. She is now 7 days old.. The weather was snowing with heavy sunshine and the wind was calm at about 45 mph with gusts up to 80 nots or so. Her performance was outstanding – pointing and holding from 30-40 yards out, upwind, eyes closed, blindfolded, lying down, rolling over and muzzled 50 yards from any particular pheasant… This was her very first exposure to neighborhood peasants, and them shooting at her.. She did not make anything of the shooting at her and I was glad for that – cuz’ you never know how a young dog will respond to them pheasants, peasants and guns..

Well, off to help train Bruce’s dog up as well. Ought to be ready for S.D. in a day or two....
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
....The helmet liner is just one of those military articles you collect over the years of service, 23 for dad, and 25 for me. ....
You have 48 helmet liners???

JD
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Cute, damn cute.

She will likely find a dead cow and roll in that. She'll want to curl up beside you that night.
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
She will likely find a dead cow and roll in that. She'll want to curl up beside you that night.
They shoot cows AND chickens in S.D..?? Do we need a special license for that or anything?

As well - remember - I frequently go to Haiti and work in some pretty disgusting conditions. I'm quite certain your pup will smell like a "daisy" in comparison...

Just sayin'....

John
Thanks for a chuckle guys--
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thanks for a chuckle guys--

Bruce- thanks for the info. Sounds like you have a well organized hunting plan, allowing of course for the inevitable intrusion of "Murphy's Laws" of course. I'm going on a Birthday preserve hunt tomorrow- most likely will use the GHE 12--The same club (I am a member) will have a European of Tower release shoot on Sun 22/Nov--then a pick-up hunt afterwards- always a great event- I like the idea of us older guys (I was born in 1941) being blockers, and being a pass shooter at heart, that's my style- I would guess you have the rule of "only climbing birds or those clearly visible above the line"- same as with the Tower shoots- only birds above the top line of the Tower are shootable-sometimes we get a few (mainly hens-) who do a tuck and roll and wait for the static line to "pop their 'chute" just above the deck, they get a "pass" and we hope to visit them later on the "pick-up" hunt--

As to your USAF issue sidearm- S&W Model 10-- let's not forget the armament of your aircraft- 20mm cannon, .50 cal. M-2 Brownings--I assume the sidearm was part of the "survival gear" in case- hope that never happened to you or your crew, very hostile country both above and below the DMZ- and of course, as "Tricky Dick" told the American public- we never flew sorties over Loas or Cambodia, Ho Chi Min Trail nonwithstanding- Just wish you guys had the "bunker buster bombs" for that cavern complex astride the Song River in NVA territory-

If you want a good read that deals with air combat (partially) during that era, read Michigan writer Jim Harrison's story "Revenge"- deals with a Navy aviator and his Phantom fighter- some aircraft indeed- but no cannon or MG's I believe--

I had a 1911-A-1 for a TO sidearm when I made E-6, but was never a high expert qualifier- I have a Colt Python with 6" barrel and shoot .38 wadcutters for target work at our club's ranges- I also have a Colt .38 Detective Special for my CCW carry gun- one thing about a "wheelgun"- the springs are NOT under tension until the piece is cocked- what sort of pistol noontime competition do you guys have? Sounds like fun- I have my Dad's Colt MT Woodsman he bought new in 1940--That's the only semi-auto handgun I own, and it is a great shooter- a hunting pal has a Colt "Ace" .22 built on the 1911-A-1 design- it's also a great shooter, but not as accurate as the MT Woodsman (IMO)--The handgun is weapon to be mastered, takes a lot of practice indeed, IMO.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

For those who do not know, John Dunkle is the major monetary and labor supporter of a Catholic orphanage and school in Haiti.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 11-05-2009 at 01:51 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: