Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

I comtemplated on skinning it but the day was late and the steaks were gettin cold. I would like to have a couple of them furs just for myself and my reloading room. I have some rabbit fur but no coyote

YET....

The majority of the ones here in the west are light like this one. I keep telling myself that she was the one I missed acouple weeks ago. Until I heard a couple yelling away Monday evening. I plan to go out on a couple of stands Friday and Saturday.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

good job on that yote...hope to see a few more pictures of them soon...i can not seem to remember to take the camera...took it onthe crow hunt the other day and dont you know the battery was dead.... but maybe today i can think of it when i go out to deer hunt this after noon...yes that was a good hide you had there...wont be long though youll have another....that was a good shot with the rifle i hope youll soon get onewith the shotgun...itll put another notch in your belt.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have never tried taking out my shotgun for one of these. Getting one with a 12 gauge means more cover than I have at my current stands I may have to upgrade to a blind of some sort? I assume Full Choke also I know I want to go with atleast a F buckshot or around that size. Might be my next notch in my belt. Sure has me antsy just thinking bout picking one off at 30 yards.
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,557 Times in 12,447 Posts

Shot size 2 or larger will make quick business of it.

4 or 5 might do it in the summer but in the colder months with their very thick fur you'll want the larger shot sizes.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Let me pass along tonight's dog hike adventure. Like Keith, there be 'yotes. Like Charlie, no camera along. Birds and deer figure into it. When the sun reaches a certain angle, CHARLIE and KYRA start to think I have forgotten their needs. There is no letting up until they get loaded into the rolling kennel and head out for a good romp. I have a great spot along the creek that is close to home and still inside the city but isolated and still wild. We slogged through the snow to the creek and headed west into the setting sun. A large mature snowy owl sat atop a post surveying the area for an early evening snack. We were under scrutiny as we passed - just a hint of head movement; otherwise, an avian statue. As we progressed, the fresh snow cover revealed there would be birds - sharptail grouse to be specific. CHARLIE snuffled more snow than a coke addict and eventually popped out the only one that would flush. Lots of bulrush and russian olive cover. Next CHARLIE took a great interest in a patch of bulrush. I knew it would not be a bird, as she has her own body language that I sometimes interpret. From out of cover, a large 'yote hightailed it across the creek and beyond. A short distance later, a large whitetail doe skedaddled. Not far beyond that, we were in an area chuck full of bird tracks but nothing budged. Peripheral vision caught movement. A yearling doe and an even smaller one moved away from us, but not in a great rush. Something about the smaller one wasn't right. The two made it into a more open space and I couldn't believe my eyes. A young whitetail and a young coyote were on the move together. I watched them for about a minute and they just mosied along together until they made it to another patch of cover. I have to say, I have never seen that before. Not exactly the wolf lying down with the lamb but maybe a young 'yote with a yearling deer is a start. Really must keep the camera in hand. As we made it back to the rolling kennel, we were serenaded by a few 'yotes, one not quite so musically inclined but the others carried a nice tune.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Great story Jack! Love to listen to that music as well! Life would be pretty boring on the plains without the ol Trickster. One of the true natives left......... ch stick with your rifle I've skinned coyote with shot under skin might as well get the job done. One day I was checkin my trap line came up on a trapped coyote he seen me and sang his death song. I don't know but it done something to me I retired. But I need to teach Jett the skill he needs to learn from ol man coyote as well. ch
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

CH,

I have a Uncle that retired when he went to get this doe he shot and the girl picked up her head and licked his face. I never heard of him killing a mouse for the 9 years since that episode. Thats what you got to do is pass it on like my father and uncle have done for me...
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Parrish For Your Post: